Burchfield Penney Art CenterAddress
1300 Elmwood Ave.
Buffalo, New York 14222
Consistent with its mission as both a dedicated and regional museum, the Burchfield Penney has, throughout its history, broadened its range of commitments and activities, while intensifying the museum’s focus on the work of Charles E. Burchfield.
In addition to its visual arts offerings, the Burchfield Penney regularly presents concerts, literary readings, lectures, symposia, workshops, and special events. This diverse programming provides artists, students, scholars, collectors, and the general public with opportunities to learn and exchange ideas about how Western New York art reflects American aesthetics and culture.
The Burchfield Penney Art Center at SUNY Buffalo State in partnership with the Artists/Veterans Art Collaborative will offer a series of classes at The Center to Vets and their families to gather and explore how visual images can be used as a means of expression. Sessions run every third Thursday, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, June through August. Website
Thursday, June 16, 2016, 6–8 pm
Thursday, July 21, 2016, 6–8 pm
Exhibition Tour & Hands on Art Making Workshop for Veterans
February 18, 2016 – Artist: Wendy King – Shadow Puppets
Make a shadow puppet and explore its movement in light (Exhibition visited: Through These Gates: Buffalo’s First African American Architect, John E. Brent)
March 17, 2016 – Artist: Anita Johnson – From Real to Abstract
Turning an image into an abstract painting (Exhibition visited: Blistering Vision)
April 21, 2016 – Artist: Russell Ram – Collected Memories
Creating a paper collage using personal collage memories (Exhibition visited: Collected Memories)
Docent-led tours of the Burchfield Penney are offered every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 2pm, and are free with gallery admission.
Hours & Admission – The Burchfield Penney Art Center is open to the public Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-5pm, Thursday from 10am-9pm and Sunday from 1-5pm. Admission is $10 (adult), $8 (senior), $5 (student).
Enhance your experience
The guiding philosophy at the Burchfield Penney is to engage audiences. To that end, the museum offers three docent-led public tours (suitable for all ages) during the week giving guests the opportunity to gain insights into the artists, the artwork, and even the museum itself. The Burchfield Penney can also customize a tour for your group, organization, school or college, based on your specific interests and needs. Please call Mary Marino Kozub at 716-878-3156 or email the Burchfield Penney.
Public Group Tours
Docent-led tours are available every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 2 pm. Tours are free with museum admission.
Private Group Tours
We offer private group tours for corporate and nonprofit groups, individuals with disabilities (museum accessibility), conference and bus tour attendees and social organizations.
School and College Tours
We welcome educators from pre-school to college to book tours for their students. Each visit is customized to your needs and areas of study. Call 716-878-3156 or email email@example.com.
Upcoming Events at Burchfield Penney Art Center
- CHARLES CARY RUMSEY: SUCCESS IN THE GATSBY ERA - Friday Sep. 09, 2016 - Sunday Jun. 25, 2017 @ 5:30 pm
- HERE! - Friday Nov. 11, 2016 - Sunday Mar. 26, 2017 @ All Day
- LOCUST ST. NEIGHBORHOOD ART CLASSES - Friday Dec. 09, 2016 - Sunday Apr. 30, 2017 @ All Day
- PAINTING A CHICKADEE IN WATERCOLOUR - Sunday Feb. 19, 2017 @ 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Docent-led tours of the Burchfield Penney - Sunday Feb. 19, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- YOGA AT THE CENTER: GROWING WARRIOR ROOTS AND OPENING TO SENSATION - Sunday Feb. 19, 2017 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Docent-led tours of the Burchfield Penney - Thursday Feb. 23, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- The Romans - Thursday Feb. 23, 2017 @ 7:00 pm
- Docent-led tours of the Burchfield Penney - Saturday Feb. 25, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- ARTIST TOUR WITH JOZEF BAJUS - Sunday Feb. 26, 2017 @ 2:00 pm
- Docent-led tours of the Burchfield Penney - Sunday Feb. 26, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- YOGA AT THE CENTER: GROWING WARRIOR ROOTS AND OPENING TO SENSATION - Sunday Feb. 26, 2017 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- YOGA AT THE CENTER: GROWING WARRIOR ROOTS AND OPENING TO SENSATION - Sunday Mar. 05, 2017 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- MABEL DODGE LUHAN and COMPANY: AMERICAN MODERNS AND THE WEST - Friday Mar. 10, 2017 - Sunday May. 28, 2017 @ All Day
- REUNION: CHESS - Friday Mar. 10, 2017 - Sunday Jun. 25, 2017 @ All Day
- VICTOR TRABUCCO AND THE TRABUCCO STUDIOS - Friday Apr. 14, 2017 - Sunday Sep. 17, 2017 @ All Day
- WHAT IT MEANT TO BE MODERN - Friday Apr. 14, 2017 - Friday Jun. 23, 2017 @ 5:30 pm
- Defining the Buffalo School Arts and Crafts Aesthetic - Friday Jun. 09, 2017 - Sunday Nov. 26, 2017 @ All Day