Here in Buffalo, we know how to take full advantage of our hot summer days (and I mean we really take advantage of them). September is approaching, and while we know this means summer isn’t over yet, it’s time to start using our summer days wisely by scheduling some extra time outside. Whether you’re looking to get out of the house, cool off, or just soak up the Buffalo sun, here’s a guide that will allow you to fully embrace the rest of our Buffalo summer weather.
1. Kayaking + Canoeing
There is no better way to spend a summer day in Buffalo than being on the water. Kayaking/Canoeing is a great way to have some quality ‘me time’, or spend time with your pals. Not to mention, it’s also a killer upper body workout. Luckily for us, Buffalo has plenty of places that you can relax on the water, while being surrounded by some pretty killer views.
- BFLO Harbor Kayak– 1 Naval Park Cove, (716) 288-5309
- Elevator Alley Kayak– 65 Vandalia St, (716) 997-7925
2. Attend a Buffalo Bisons Game
If you haven’t been to a Bisons Game this summer, what are you doing?! Don’t worry, there are still 2 more Honda fridaynightbash series games left in the season. Every Friday night home game, there are award-winning fireworks at the end of the night, and a Resurgence Brewing Happy Hour (5-6:30 pm) where you can get $3 Craft Beer and awesome food specials including: Original Pizza Logs, Charlie the Butcher Beef on Weck, and Bacon Mac and Cheese. Get tickets!
3. Stand-Up Peddle Board and Water Bikes
Water Bikes of Buffalo-Canalside, Buffalo, NY | Website
Want to take biking to the next level? Hit the water on bike and explore Buffalo’s historic waterfront. You can bike individually or ride a tandem 2-rider bike along side naval ships at the naval museum and down to the lighthouse near Lake Erie. Water Bikes of Buffalo-Canalside also offers a stand-up pedal board for single riders. They’re similar to paddle boards, except you use your feet in a stair step motion to move your board. So basically it’s a segway on water, and we’re totally here for it.
4. Enjoy Sunsets and Ice Cream Sundays at Erie Basin Marina
Erie Basin Marina is a great spot to walk around and explore during the summer. It’s always filled with people strolling, sitting, and taking in the amazing views of the historic waterfront district of Buffalo. The best seat in the house is at the Observation Deck, where you can take the stairs to the top and get a panoramic view of Lake Erie. After exploring, it’s always nice to treat yo’ self with some ice cream from the Hatch. If you time it right, you may even be able to sit and listen to some live music!
5. Hop on a Whirlpool Jet Boat Tour
If you really want to cool off, we highly suggest giving the whirlpool jet boat tours a try. This 45-60 minute tour will provide you with incredible views of the Niagara Gorge, Niagara Falls and the War of 1812, all while feeling the rush of Class V white water rapids. This is perfect for any adventure seeker. For your convenience there are 3 different locations for boats to depart from: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Niagara Falls ON, and Lewiston.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake – 61 Melville St. P.o. #1215 Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
- Lewiston – 115 South Water St. Lewiston, NY, 14092
- Niagara Falls – The Floral Clock Niagara Parkway Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
6. Take a Buffalo Pedal Tour
Buffalo Pedal Tours run 7 days a week and make for a great group outdoor activity. Their bikes seat parties up to 15 on land, or they have a huge pontoon style cycle boat that seats up to 18 people at sea. All you need to do is grab your favorite canned drink of choice, and your go-to group. Buffalo pedal tours provides cups, ice, coolers, music, as well as, creates a structured list of the best bars in Buffalo to pedal to. Book a trip here!
7. Take a Boat Ride
If you check any form of social media, you’ll see that many Buffalonians enjoy spending a hot day on their boat. If you don’t have your own boat, there are plenty of options in WNY for you to get out on the water, for an affordable price. You can choose from tours, boozy boat rides, dinner cruises, among many more options.
- Spirit of Buffalo – 44 Prime St, Buffalo, NY 14202 | Website
- Buffalo Charter/Miss Buffalo – 79 Marine Dr, Buffalo, NY 14202 | Website
- Grand Lady Cruises Inc – 359 Ganson St, Buffalo, NY 14203 | Website
- Buffalo Tiki Tours – 359 Ganson Street, Buffalo, NY 14203 | Website
- Moondance Cat – 329 Erie Street Buffalo, NY 14202 | Website
8. Go to the Beach!
I know when most people think of Buffalo, going to the beach isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, but Buffalo actually has a lot of beaches to relax, swim, and catch some rays. Grab your towel, some sunscreen, and plenty of snacks and spend your day with your toes in the sand!
- Beaver Island State Park: 2136 West Oakfield Road, Grand Island, NY 14072
- Bennett Beach: 8276 Old Lake Shore Road, Angola, NY 14006
- Evangola State Park: 10191 Old Lake Shore Road, Irving, NY 14081
- Hamburg Town Park/Beach: 4420 Lakeshore Road, Hamburg, NY 14075
- Lake Erie Beach Park: 9568 Lake Shore Road, Angola, NY 14006
- Sunset Bay Beach: 1028 South Shore Drive Irving, NY 14081
- Wendt Beach: 7676 Old Lake Shore Road, Derby, NY 14047
- Woodlawn Beach State Park: S-3580 Lakeshore Road (Rt.5) Blasdell, NY 14219
9. Pontoon over to Grass Island
If you don’t know about Grass Island, you do now! Every weekend over the summer, boaters down to this Niagara River sandbar. While you’re here you can spend the day hanging out with friends and family while swimming, listening to music, and making friends with fellow boaters. This sunken Island is the perfect spot to spend the entire day. Rent a Pontoon!
10. Enjoy a roof top drink
There’s something about a roof top, and a summer day, that makes you just feel so happy inside. Roof top bars allow you to really soak up the sun while trying quality cocktails, wine and craft beers. Not to mention, talk about a view, wow!
Here are some of our favorite spots:
- Patrick’s Rooftop: 500 Pearl St, Buffalo, NY 14202
- Tappo: 338 Ellicott St, Buffalo, NY 14203
- Curtiss Hotel: 210 Franklin St, Buffalo, NY 14202
11. Visit Reid’s Drive In
150 Lake Ave, Lockport, NY 14094
Reid’s is a seasonal hot dog stand located in Lockport serving your favorite summertime grilled goods. The perfect meal does exist, and it’s a Reid’s cheeseburger with their “special sauce” and a side of fries. The stand also serves hamburgers, hot dogs, onion rings, ice cream, and shakes. Enjoy your meal under the sun it their dining area, or take it to go and find a spot by the water.
12. Try all of the Taffy’s shakes
3261 Orchard Park Rd, Orchard Park, NY 14127
Taffy’s milk shakes are a must this summer. They have over 130 milkshakes, as well as, classic American cuisine including, a local favorite, Sahlen’s hot dogs. All milk shakes are made the old fashion way with milk and real ice cream. They even have premium flavors such as PB and Jam, Caramel Cookie, Funky Monkey and so much more. If you can’t make the hike out to Orchard Park, be sure to check out their food truck at Food Truck Tuesday at Larkin Square.