Now that we’re deep into the summer season, it’s time to start thinking about some noteworthy things to do this summer before its gone in the blink of an eye. From farmers markets to outdoor concerts Buffalo is filled with must-do activities that need to be added onto your summer 2019 bucket list ASAP! Here’s what’s on mine for 2019:
1. Watch the sunset and have a rooftop drink at Vue Rooftop Lounge
For those of you that haven’t been here, I would 12/10 recommend. The rooftop has a perfect panoramic view of downtown Buffalo, Lake Erie, and the Canadian shoreline. It’s open to the public at 5 pm Tuesday-Saturday year-round. They also have live music every Thursday and Friday!
Location: 210 Franklin St, Buffalo, NY 14202 inside atop the Curtiss Hotel
2. Cozy up and eat some snacks at the Transit Drive-In
The Drive-In is by far one of my favorite places to go in the Summer. Tickets are only $10 to view 2 newly released movies. Also, they have Retro Movie Tuesdays! Adult admission charge is $10, Children 5-11 are $6 and children 4 and under are FREE.
3. Hiking The Niagara Gorge
This is a great hike to do if you’re looking for a workout! There are paths that take you by the rapids where you can sit, snap some photos, and enjoy the breathtaking views. I personally love to grab a well-deserved lunch at The Silo after my day of hiking.
4. Track down the Petal Pusher Flower Truck and create a personalized bouquet
Just wait until you see how perfect this flower truck is. Stella (the truck’s name) is a vintage 1963 WV that carries a wide range of unique florals from all over the world! Their selection changes weekly, and you can create your own, or have someone create a bouquet for you.
- Hamburg Farmers Market
- Saturdays 7:30 am-1 pm
- Buffalo Place Downtown Country Market
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 am-2:30 pm
- Wednesdays Live at Larkin 5 pm-8 pm
- Fridays Lunches 12 pm-2 pm
5. Take a Free Summer Workout Class at Canalside
Curious about trying a new workout class? BlueCross BlueShield of WNY offers free fitness classes at Canal Side throughout the summer. This year’s lineup includes Zumba, Barre, Yoga, and more! There’s nothing better than getting your sweat on beside the water. Click here for the full schedule!
6. Try a new Food Truck at Food Truck Tuesday
Food Truck Tuesday runs every Tuesday from 5pm-8pm until October 1st. Dozens of food trucks travel to Larkinville from Buffalo, Rochester, and beyond. Enjoy your delicious meal with a night filled with live music and fun. You can even bring food truck purchases to enjoy in the Hydraulic Hearth Beer Garden, Flying Bison Brewing Co., and BFLO Distilling all on Seneca Street!
New Food Trucks Include:
- Craft Crepes
- Big Ed’s BBQ
- Souped Up
- Wraps on Wheels
- Caribbean Flava
- Mad Sauces
- Lugia’s on Wheels
- Fat Lady’s Cakes & Pies
- Roll’n Deep
- Falafel Bar
7. Attempt to go to allll of the Festivals!
Here in WNY, it seems like we’re always finding a reason to celebrate! Here are just a few of the many festivals that you need to check out this summer.
- July 5-7: Ellicottville Summer Music Festival
- July 13 and 14: Sweet Chalk Festival
- July 13 and 14: Taste of Buffalo
- July 14-21: Canal Fest
- July 16-19: Old Home Days
- July 20: BurgerFest
- July 26-28: Annual Lebanese Festival
- July 27: Live Well Buffalo Festival 2019
- July 27: Glen Park Art Fest
- Aug. 1-4: Eden Corn Fest
- Aug. 2-3: Cobblestone Live Music Festival
- Aug. 2-4: Niagara Tattoo Expo
- Aug. 2: Buffalo Brewfest 2019
- Aug. 3: Brews ’n Blues festival
- Aug 16: Summer Bash
- Aug. 22-24: Night Lights Music Festival
- Aug. 23-25: Buffalo Irish Festival
- Aug. 31 and Sept. 1: National Buffalo Chicken Wing Festival
- Sept. 5-8: Niagara County Peach Festival
- Sept 7: South Buffalo Irish Festival
- Sept 14: Hamburg Oktoberfest
8. Meet up with friends at Music on Main
Every Thursday night in the village of Williamsville all along Main Street will be 10 groups or bands playing music all night! There are so many places to grab a bite to eat, enjoy a patio drink, and catch up with some friends.
9. Try an Ice Cream Flight
If you’re an ice cream lover, this is totally for you! Lately, a lot of local ice cream shops have been offering flights of ice cream. That’s right, you heard me, just like flights of beer, but with ice cream! Isn’t that amazing?
Places that Serve:
- Lake Effect
- Mississippi Muds
- Main Street Ice Cream
10. Take a Buffalo Tiki Tour
If you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain, or just want a relaxing tour around Buffalo’s Inner Harbor on a Hawaiian style Tiki Hut, then this is for you! The boat fits 6 guests and docks out of Buffalo Riverworks. This is the perfect tropical twist to everyone’s favorite Buffalo Pedal Tour.
11. Get some New Yard Inspo at Garden Walk Buffalo
This free, self-guided tour around Buffalo is free and America’s largest garden tour. There are no tickets required and free hop-on/hop-off shuttle buses. The Garden Walk takes place Saturday and Sunday, July 27 & 28. Check out our Guide to everything you need to know to enjoy Garden Walk Buffalo!
If you want to literally feel the warm summer breeze through your hair, then I highly suggest ziplining between Buffalo’s Historic GLF Silo’s zip lines. Weekday passes are $35 and Weekend passes are $45.
Riverworks also has a $69.00 Adventure pass that allows you to zip line, participate in the urban high ropes course, kayak or paddleboard down the Buffalo River, and rock climb the historic GLF silos.
13. Kayak Elevator Alley
Kayak on your own, with a buddy, or take a guided tour around the Historic Buffalo River. This relaxing trip on the water is the best way to appreciate Buffalo’s many grain elevators. After your trip, reward yourself with a drink at The Barrel Factory! Check out our guide to kayaking.
14. Movie Mondays on the Water at Canalside
Talk about a movie with a view! Movie Mondays will take place every Monday in July at 7 pm at the Great Lawn/Clinton’s Dish and Garden Bar. The movie lineup is perfect for any age. Hit up your local supermarket and grab some snacks and a cozy blanket and enjoy this free show!
Here’s the Upcoming Movie Lineup:
- July 1 – SpiderMan Into the Spiderverse
- July 8 – ET
- July 15 – Mary Poppins Returns
- July 22 – The Grinch
- July 29 – Cool Runnings
15. Pick Up Fresh Produce at a Local Farmers Market
Support *and I can’t stress this enough* your local businesses. Farmers markets are the perfect way to support local, get incredibly fresh produce, and discover some pretty unique products! Not to mention, who doesn’t love strolling through the market outside, sipping your favorite coffee?! Check out our Guide to WNY Farmers Market to find a market near you!