It’s officially Fish Fry season in Western New York, which is great, until week three and you’re all of a sudden super over it. We feel you.
We love crispy, fried filet just as much as the next Buffalonian, but let’s be honest, week after week of the stuff can take a toll. Not to mention the sides – french fries, coleslaw, mac-salad, oh my. Which is why we’re suggesting you get creative this lent season. There are so many other non-fried fish options out there just begging to be added to your weekly rotation, including Fresh Catch Poke Co., a brand new fast-casual restaurant in Williamsville offering a new way to get your fish fix.
Tell me more, tell me more
Fresh Catch Poke Co. gives you the chance to build your own poke bowl (definition: a raw fish salad) using some of the best seafood WNY has to offer, flown in fresh from Hawaii every other day – meaning NEVER frozen. Cue the jaw drops.
You’ll start with a base, choosing from Jasmine rice, bamboo rice, mixed greens, seaweed salad, jasmine rice & greens, or low carb cauliflower rice/seasonal noodle. Next pick a protein from a long, drool-worthy list including Hawaiian ahi tuna, Faroe island salmon, Hawaiian nairagi, shrimp, tofu, or even grass-fed, antibiotic-free chicken for those of you not looking for a fish fry alternative. Next, add toppings like fresh green onions, cucumbers, jalapenos, carrots, wasabi peas, corn, mandarin oranges, watermelon radish, ginger, broccoli, snow peas, toasted coconut, tobiko, bean sprouts, pickled beets, crushed hot Cheetos, or homemade vegan kimchi.
If options intimidate you (it’s a thing), pick one of Fresh Catch’s Signature Bowls (starting at $10.95).
Our top 5 menu picks for a fish fry alternative are:
- Bubba – Northern shrimp, jasmine rice, crab meat, green onion, cucumber, broccoli, bean sprouts, spicy ginger citrus, $10.95
- The Salmo – Atlantic salmon, jasmine rice, edamame, cucumber, bean sprouts, jalapeno, tobiko, sesame seeds, and ponzu, $10.95
- Aloha OG – ahi tuna, bamboo rice, seaweed salad, green onion, carrots, watermelon radish, ginger, fried onions, sesame seeds, sesame shoyu, $10.95
- Ono – Hawaiian nairagi, jasmine rice, pineapple, onion, jalapeno, carrots, peas, tobiko, spicy ponzu, $10.95
- FCPC Deluxe Bowl – Ahi tuna, Atlantic salmon, bamboo rice, edamame, green onion, cucumber, watermelon radish, fried onions, toasted coconut, tobiko, and ponzu, $14.95
Don’t forget about the beverages! Fresh Catch Poke offers a full bar with sake, wine, beer, kombucha on tap, the whole nine yards. Color us impressed. They also have alkaline water, tea, organic moringa tea, coconut water, watermelon water, and nitrogen infused cold brew coffee.
And you know what else? They have a kids menu. Kids Meals begin at $6.75 and are served with veggies or fruit, and an organic juice box or milk. They have the option of a chicken, shrimp, or tofu bowl, mouth-watering organic mac & cheese, or nut free PB&J.
Fresh Catch Poke Co. FTW. Think it’s time to add this bad boy to your Fish FryFriday rotation? Same.
Fresh Catch Poke Co.
5933 Main Street, Williamsville, NY 14221 / 716.271.7653
Hours: Monday-Saturday: 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.,Sunday: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.