Did you know the first nonprofit organization in the nation to manage and operate an entire historic urban park system is located right here in Buffalo?
The Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy is dedicated to promoting, preserving, restoring, enhancing, and maintaining 850 acres of beautifully designed parks, parkways, and circles in the Greater Buffalo area.
If that’s a mission you would like to support, here are 5 ways you can enjoy and make a difference this summer:
1. Adopt a FLOmingo for the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ record breaking attempt.
When the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy first broke the record for the “longest line of garden flamingos” back in June of 2018, flamingos became their unofficial mascot. They even renamed them FLOmingos in honor of Frederick Law Olmsted.
Their record was broken in 2019, so with Frederick Law Olmsted’s 200th birthday coming up in 2022, the Conservancy is preparing to take back the title as part of a nationwide year-long celebration!
You can pre-adopt your FLOmingos now to take part in the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ record breaking attempt in June of 2022.
2. Party at their annual Denim and Diamonds Gala fundraiser.
Every year, they host a special fundraising event to celebrate and raise funds to ensure that Buffalo’s Olmsted Parks are well-cared for all year round. This year’s party is happening on Friday, August 27 at Riverside Park from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Tickets start at $125 for individuals and $200 for pairs. Your ticket includes an open bar during the event, food, access to silent and live auctions, and more. They have a few VIP tables available too!
3. Enjoy a Back to School Party and family movie nights
Before you send your kids back to school, enjoy a movie night at Riverside Park, in partnership with The MolinaCares Accord. Outdoor movies begin at sundown. Free for all to attend.
- Friday, August 20, 6:00 p.m. – Backpack & School Supply Giveaway
- Friday, August 20, 8:00 p.m. – Movie featuring Disney’s animation “Sing”
- Friday, September 17, 7:00 p.m. – Movie featuring Disney’s animation “Mulan”
4. Catch a Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra concert in a park.
The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy are teaming up for a special concert series, happening every Thursday through August 12 at a different Olmsted park each week. Visit the Conservancy’s website for latest updates.
- August 5 at MLK Jr. Park (the basketball courts behind the MLK Casino)
- August 12 at Delaware Park (by the Colvin Avenue entrance to the park) – Click here for more information!
- August 13 at Riverside Park (by Hotaling Dr.) – Click here for more information!
Each concert starts at 7:00 p.m. and features select musicians from the brass section of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. The best part? Admission is completely free!
5. Hit the links at one of their golf courses.
You’ll find three golf courses on the historic Olmsted landscape. Cazenovia and South Park are 9-hole golf courses while Delaware Park is an 18-hole golf course.
You can choose to play at any of the courses any day of the week. All you need to do is pick a tee time and make a reservation.
Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy
84 Parkside Ave., Buffalo NY 14214