We know how the seasons work in Buffalo, summer basically jumps straight to winter. With this comes a wave of cold weather and the struggle to try and get motivated to do anything. We can’t be the only one, right? Summer makes it so easy to leave our humble abodes and get outdoors. There always seems to be a festival, market, or event every day, well at least it feels like every day. Now that the cold weather has rudely set in, and plans on sticking around for a while, we’ve taken on the task of creating a go-to guide on creative date nights or day-time activities that will make it totally worth getting out of the comfort of your home and making the most of this chilly season.
1. Sip on a Flight of Crisp Local Ciders
Ok cider lovers, listen up. We know that Buffalo is filled with unique craft breweries and cocktail bars, but what you may not know is that they have a select few bars that are dedicated solely to delicious ciders. That’s right, try a flight of your fav local ciders to keep you warm and cozy on a chilly Buffalo day.
- Buffalo Cider Hall is Buffalo’s first cider-focused bar. This fine establishment serves the well-known BlackBird Cider Works that is originally concocted in Barker, NY. The bar itself has a menu that includes small plates, but lucky for you, it’s also right across the street from Tappo + Thin Man’s second location. Sip on some cider and grab a pizza to-go for an ideal afternoon. You can find them at 155 Chandler St. Suite 4, Buffalo, NY 14207 / (716) 240-9689.
- Bar Cultivar is a cider centric bar and bottle shop by SteamPunk Cider originated in Medina, NY. At Bar Cultivar, there is no doubt that you’ll find a wide variety of local and international ciders. Not to mention, the overall atmosphere is very trendy. You can find them at 65 Vandalia St, Buffalo, NY 14204.
2. Grab Some Snacks and Head to The Movies
Everyone knows that going to the movies is the go-to chilly day activity. I mean, who doesn’t love wearing comfy clothes and indulging in popcorn for hours? From Boozy theaters to local historical theaters, we highly suggest checking out one of these locations for a cozy day-date.
- Check out our full guide to Locally Owned Movie Theaters in WNY to see all of Buffalo’s historic local theaters.
- Another theater that you need to check out is the boozy AMC Market Arcade 8. This theater has the comfiest reclining chairs, heated seats, and tray tables to hold your drinks and snacks. Located inside the theater is MacGuffin’s Bar and Lounge which offers beer, wine, and cocktails.
3. Have a Competitive Gaming Day at Misuta Chows
521 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14203 | (716) 259-8228 | Website
If you haven’t been to Misuta Chows yet, what are you waiting for? From their unique food and drink menu to their gaming selection, you can easily spend an entire day here. Grab your friends for an afternoon filled with beers, fun and a little friendly (or not so friendly) competition. Not to mention, it’d be the perfect time to post a pic to the gram on the hot pink staircase.
For more Gaming Spots: Check out our guide of Spots in Buffalo to Grab a Beer and Play Some Pinball
4. Get Your Sweat On by Trying a New Workout Class
We know it almost seems impossible finding motivation during the chilly months. However, a good workout just hits different in the winter. With the holidays quickly approaching its time to get it in gear and find the perfect workout class for your winter routine.
- Pole Dance at The Birds Nest located at 64 Fillmore Ave. Buffalo, NY 14210. In this unique class, students will learn how to safely move on, off, and around the pole. During the class you’ll work with both static and spinning poles as you focus on your flexibility, movement, and strength. Talk about a killer ab workout! Website
- Boxing Classes at Box Star Training located at 512 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo, NY 14222. There are 5 different styles of boxing classes offered at Box Star Training. Classes focus on strength, endurance, and conditioning. Website
- TWERKSHOP Class at BIKEORBAR located at 904 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo, NY 14222. This is not your typical barre class. The word twerk is in there for a reason, people. “Think isometric barre moves and some booty shaking and popping.” Does this not sound like the best workout class ever? Website
- Embrace your inner warrior at The Warrior Factory Buffalo located at4691 Transit Rd Williamsville, NY 14221. The Warrior Factory of Buffalo offers an Adult Ninja class recommended for ages 16+. Participants rotate through three stations targeting your upper body and lower body, and a little trampoline action for some extra pep in your step. Website
5. Indulge in the Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich at BreadHive Bakery
402 Connecticut St, Buffalo, NY 14201 | (716) 980-5623 | Website
Have you SEEN the breakfast sandwiches at BreadHive?! All of their sandwiches are huge, affordable, and made with the freshest ingredients. Not to mention, they even have vegan options too. Could they be more perfect? Ok, yes they can, you also have the choice of getting any of your sandwiches (lunch ones too) on a pretzel or a fresh bagel. The atmosphere here makes it totally chill to grab a book, cozy up and spend the day drinking a coffee or two. Maybe even a beer if thats how you like it. With all it has to offer, BreadHive is definitely worth checking out.
6. Track Down a Mundy’s Sugar Cookie Decorating Class
220 Allen Street, Buffalo, NY 14201 | (716) 370-2834 | Website
We have a special place in our hearts for Mundy’s cookies. If you haven’t peeped their Instagram, or been to their Allen St. location you need to ASAP. Seriously, they have the most unique and detailed cookies ever. Including ones that look like white claws, like how does one do that?! Well the secret is out, you can begin to learn all of their cookie techniques by taking their Sugar Cookie Decorating Classes. These classes are beginner’s level, allowing everyone to learn to decorate and then take home 7 sugar cookies. Light snacks, refreshments, and decorating supplies are provided as well. Although they haven’t announced when their next set of classes are, you’ll want to keep this on your radar. For more info check out their events here.
7. Rock out at Buffalo RiverWorks
359 Ganson St, Buffalo, NY 14203 | (716) 342-2292 | Website
Not going to lie, sometimes we forget how amazing Buffalo RiverWorks is as a concert venue. It’s spacious, surrounded by amazing food and drink options, and has a convenient parking lot. Concerts are the perfect date night, or pals night out for all times of the year. Check out their upcoming shows here.
8. Embrace Your Inner Child at a Science after Hours hosted by the Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Pkwy, Buffalo NY 14211 | (716) 896-5200 | Website
The science museum isn’t just for kids, it’s for adults too. The Buffalo Science Museum offers amazing workshops and after hours for adults 18+. The cost of each event is about $15, but Museum members can save 10% off of that price. They also make it easy enough where all you need to bring is yourself. Check out the full list of events here.
9. Try a New Comfort Food Joint
So we know there’s more to do in Buffalo besides eating and drinking, but how amazing does ooey, gooey mac and cheese, or chicken wings sound on a freezing Buffalo day? We all know you want it, so treat yo’ self! We have a few spots we can recommend for the ultimate winter comfort food.
- Buffalo Melting Point- Buffalo’s Premier Grilled Cheese Eatery
- 244 Allen Street, Buffalo, NY 14201| (716) 768-0426
- Wing Nutz- Gourmet Jumbo Wings
- 1530 Kenmore Ave. Buffalo, NY 14216|(716) 990-5438
- Mooney’s Sports Bar & Grill- Mac and Cheese
- Multiple Locations- Buffalo, Depew, Kenmore, Tonawanda
- Inizio- Homemade Fresh Pasta
- 534 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo, NY 14222| (716) 424-1008
- Campfire Grill- Griddle Treats (oreo cakes, crunchy griddle toast, homemade hotcakes)
- 3003 Walden Avenue Depew, NY 14043| 716-725-9969
- SATO- Ramen Bowls
- 793 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
10. Warm-Up at DripHouse
5505 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14221 | (716) 633-2902 | website
Warm-up (literally) at New York’s premier personal sweat lodge experience. DripHouse offers an innovative and relaxing detox experience, which is often desired during the not-so-healthy holiday season. The benefits can include fat loss, skin health, better sleep, fitness, wellness, and mood.