Update: Bourbon and Butter is closed as of April 2016
Address: 391 Washington St. / Business District / Downtown | (716) 253-6453
Hours: Tues.- Thurs 11:30- 2:3o- and 5-10; Fri. 11:30- 2:30 and 5-11; Sat. 5-11SOB LISTING WEBSITE MENU FACEBOOK
Bourbon and Butter is the newest redo of Mike A’s @ Lafayette. In fact it is really a redo of the art deco bar/lounge, which will now be known as Bourbon and Butter. The wood paneled room most associated with Mike A’s, with gothic style rib-vaulted ceilings, will be used for private parties.
It is still a Mike A.’s restaurant but in a more casual, less “intimidating” space. Many diners today are looking for the high-end food experience sans formality and high-end prices. The new restaurant will feature the same outstanding quality of food, paired with a nice cocktail program, while appealing to repeat and/or drop in patrons.
A more approachable menu – price wise. Gone is the traditional-style menu consisting of multiple courses at the higher end of the spectrum. It’s been replaced with very reasonable small sharing plates, and a small selection of more expensive entrees. The most expensive menu item is the Duck at $25.
Plates to look for:
- Shaved Foie Gras with maple glazed peach tart, $12
- Beef & Marrow – Sliced steak, crispy marrow, celery, corn and capers, $12
- Crispy Pig Ear with a fried egg and jalapeños, $11
- Pork Crepinette with shallot caramel sauce, lime, cilantro and shrimp, 12
A nice collection of sides range from $3 to $6 and features casual add-ons like Corn on the Cob, Fried Macaroni & Cheese, Pommes Frites and Shisito Peppers.
In addition, you’ll find plenty of liquid sustenance to indulge in, from house originals to modern classics hailing from New York City restaurants. ($10 each)
As far as house originals go, plenty caught my eye. Just to name a few:
- Sybil – watermelon soda, thyme, lemongrass, txakolina wine
- Untempered – fig and rosemary tonic, scotch, benedictine, balsamic, walnut oil
- Salsa Something – tequila, mescal, lime, tomato honey, avocado, jalapeño
- Minted Man – Lockhouse vodka, rosehip liqueur, chartreuse, mint oil, cucumber
- Bacon Old Fashioned – Spar’s bacon washed bourbon, maple syrup, angostura, orange oil
- Dead Ramones – bourbon, lemon, nardini amaro, creme de peche
- Part Time Lover – gin, manzanilla fina, dolin blanc, green chartreuse and maraschino
I counted thirteen wines by the glass, and several others available by the bottle. The beer list includes different local, craft and domestic variations by the bottle.
What’s the same?
White table cloths, top notch service, and an extensive wine list. They are open for lunch Tues. – Fri. They continue to have one of the best teams in Buffalo in Chef/Owner Mike Andrzejewski, Mixologist/Sommelier Tony Rials and Chef Chris Daigler.
For updates on the best things to eat, drink & do in WNY, sign up for our newsletter!
You might also like…