We all know Buffalo is a very special place, but sometimes it’s easy to forget the truly unique things that make it one of a kind.
Recently on Reddit user “u/uwu-hehe” posed the question: what are some things that’s unique to buffalo/ things about buffalo other places don’t have?
Users from all over chimed in with their favorite things about Buffalo and WNY – here were their answers:
- Free public observation deck. Got to pay $20-40 anywhere else in the country.
- Only US city to host a World University Games, which actually hosts just as many athletes as the Olympics.
- Pretty sure Buffalo has the most confectionery/chocolate stores per capita (Parkside, Watson’s, etc)
- We have a radial street system.
- We have an entire park system designed by Frederick Olmsted
- Access to Canadian radio/tv – not to mention having an overwhelming amount of Canadian tourists/travelers/binational residents
- Being able to hop the border and drink at 19
- Free downtown public transportation
- Presidential history – Fillmore, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt (how don’t we have a Buffalo Museum of Presidents!?)
- Sunsets over water (outside of the West coast…and Tampa).
- Silo City – largest collection of Grain Silos in the world. Some people call them eyesores, and others have done the tour or kayaked by them on the Buffalo River. With the current amount of activity and future plans for the site, Silo City could easily become a world class destination in it’s own right. People don’t travel far for something like Canalside, they travel far for things that are truely unique.
- Trendy walkable neighborhoods you can actually afford to live in (pretty rare outside of the rust belt, the cool neighborhoods in Southern cities aren’t cheap anymore).
- High minimum wage vs low cost of living ratio. Only rural New England and rural Pacific NW might have us beat.
- Canadian flags EVERYWHERE
- Canadian National Anthem at every hockey game
- Unique Festivals: Dyngus Day, Boom Days, City of Night, National Garden Walk Festival, National Chicken Wing Festival
- Free/Super Cheap Large Concert Series – it’s actually pretty hard to find anything comparable to Thursdays at Canalside
- Outer Harbor – Few cities have a space half the size of Central Park dedicated to passive leisurely activities just outside of a downtown area.
- 4 seasons in 1 hour
- Josh Allen
- Bars open till 4am
- Butter lambs
- Buffalo wings – in other places bison can’t fly.
- Buffalonians! We are friendly, helpful, generous and fun!
- Beef on weck Weber’s mustard Dyngus Day Sponge candy Loganberry Paula’s donuts Chiavetta’s chicken
- Mighty taco!!
- Sponge candy! 😋
- I once heard that the tradition of birthday cake cutting is a Buffalo thing….. the birthday person cuts the cake and whoever present has the next sequential birthday then removes the knife.
- Chicken finger subs. When I was in college I tried to order it at a pizza place. They sold chicken fingers (didn’t call it that or make them right) and had subs. But had no idea what I was talking about.
- Little known but the Royal Sub is a Buffalo thing as well.