Hate to be the one to break it to you, but winter isn’t going anywhere. It’s blown into town and made itself right at home like an in-law that peeks through every last cabinet. The fact is, nobody knows when she’ll actually leave. And when she does, it won’t be long before she’s back again. The good news is, you have plenty of time to make headway on this list. Stepping out isn’t just about tank tops and bike rides people. Shockingly enough, you might actually be bummed if you miss out on some of this winter stuff.
- Tubing at Kissing Bridge. Gotta go.
- Go to Soupfest
- Check out the view from the Observation Deck at Buffalo City Hall
- Partake in a self-guided “Fireplace Pub Crawl” starting at Pan Am Grill and continuing to D’Arcy McGees, The Lodge, and Gabriel’s Gate. Here are a few other suggestions just in case you’re hard core.
- Track down the Butter Block Pop-Up Bakery. Eat homemade Oreos.
- Go ice fishing in the Small Boat Harbor
- Attend at least one winter beer event. Challenge accepted.
- Ride the toboggan chutes at Chestnut Ridge
- See a comedy show. What are you waiting for? Seriously.
- Take a stroll through the Winter Market at Horsefeathers
- Learn to curl / Attempt to learn to curl
- Experience the Ice Bikes at The Ice at Canalside
- Attend a Queen City Roller Girls Derby…game…match… at Buffalo Riverworks. (A little help with this terminology anyone?)
- Catch the Buffalo Botanical Gardens all lit up during Lumagination
- Sledding. (Duh.) Some of our favorite hills include Margaret Louise Park, Akron Falls Park, Como Lake Park,Niawanda Park, and Gunther’s Hill and Chestnut Ridge.
- See how many of our Best New Restaurants of 2014 you can get to.
- Plan a self guided “Hot Drink Crawl” traveling from bar to bar in search of spiked warm drinks like Hot Toddies, Hot Buttered Rum and Mulled Wine.
- Rent snow shoes from Gear for Adventure in Hamburg and get trekking or better yet, join them on one of their Thursday (Update: Saturday) snowshoe hikes.
- Check out one of our favorite art galleries (because you know you’re not going to do it when it’s 80 and sunny).
- Free ice skating @ the Rotary Rink (Or you can always try one of these.)
- Drink Yellow Snow. No seriously.
- Take a brewery tour. Don’t worry, we did the legwork on this one.
- DIY Tour de Buffalo Breweries (completely different from #22) – Spend a Saturday drinking beer at a few different local breweries. Start in the South Towns at Hamburg, then venture towards the city hitting up Flying Bison and Gene McCarthy’s (OFW) on the way to Resurgence & Community Beer Works. Before you embark on your journey, pick up a Taptrails Map for discounts along the way.Please drink responsibly.
- Try 5 NEW wing spots.
- Warm up by slurping some Pho
- Have brunch at Elm Street Bakery – there’s no better time to relax in front of a warm brick oven than on a snowy Sunday morning.
- Play a round (or two) of indoor glow-in-the-dark mini golf
- Listen to live jazz music
- Eat gourmet toast at the new Five Points Bakery & Toast Cafe. They’re the only “toast cafe” in town, in case you were wondering.
- Have a coffee at the Public Espresso + Coffee Bar @ Hotel Lafayette – COMING SOON!
- Last but not least, track down a food truck and show ’em some love! They must be freezing their a**** off!
We know. This list involves a lot of drinking, eating and snow. But hey, if it ain’t broke….
#bflowinterbucketlist on Instagram!
You might also find interesting…