Address: 174 Buffalo St. / Hamburg / Southtowns | 716-648-6554
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 5pm-close
Southtown epicureans rejoice. Daniel’s Restaurant in Hamburg will reopen this Friday, December 6. Long the cornerstone of culinary excellence in the south towns, Daniel’s closed earlier this year when owner/chef Daniel Johengen retired after 23 years. Our reader’s interest was so great we thought we would give you a closer look.
The new ownership includes local couple Todd and Annette Winder, Henry Matuszewski, former owner/operator of Williamsville’s Daffodils Restaurant, and Scott Donhauser, recent chef at Butterwood Sweet & Savory and one-time Daffodil’s chef. Stefanie Viles, also of Butterwood, will serve as Sous Chef. Dan’s four servers (Mark, Kim, Richelle and John) will be back.
Chef Donhauser plans to bring together his own creations perfected over the years and add those to some of Daniel’s most popular menu items. “Dan has been kind enough to share his recipes and work with us while we’ve been remodeling,” said Donhauser. Formally trained at the Florida Culinary Institute in Tampa, Chef Donhauser is a firm believer in the “farm to table” concept and expects to change the menu seasonally.
“We’ve known Scott (Chef Donhauser) for many years and he has proven his passion, dedication and creativity in the kitchen. His ability to create a modern take and flavors on what might be considered a classic dish is what sets him apart,” says Winder.
Regular patrons will notice a few new decorating touches including fresh paint, new colors, new carpet, and new furniture.
Daniel’s will also be rolling out a new wine list that promises to be very interesting as one of the area’s premier wine experts assisted them in putting it together.
Menu items to look for.
- Escargot – tomato, roasted garlic butter, housemaid pasta sheet – $11.
- Foie Gras Ravioli – caramelized apples, be sling poached cherries, double smoked bacon bread pudding – $16
- Variations on Mushrooms – steamed chanterelle dumpling, Porcini gnocchi – black truffle cream, shiitake mushrooms salad – $12
- Seared Sea Scallops – crispy pancetta, Shiitake mushroom, wilted radicchio, chive butter
- Daffodils Famous Rack of Lamb… rosemary – Dijon demi, whipped potatoes, local vegetables. half rack – $25, full rack – $44
- Horseradish Crusted Salmon – melted leek cream, garlic yukon gold potatoes – $23
- Pork Mignon – smoked sour cherry sauce, “bacon & egg” risotto, vegetable du jour – $24
- Crispy duck breast – house pasta, roasted Pear., Raspberry sauce – $26
- Chicken Roulade – melted leeks, sun dried tomato, fresh basil, duo of cheeses, vegetable Israeli couscous.
- Filet Mignon – wrapped in double smoked bacon, Roquefort butter, red wine sauce.
Some of Daniel’s old favorites from their additions to the menu will start a week or two down the road so they have a chance to smooth out any wrinkles in the new operation. Some of the favorites to show up: Seasonal Ravioli, Fresh Figs, Yellow Fin Tuna, Sautéed Scallops, Crab Cakes or Soft Shell Crabs, Smoked Trout Salad …and more. A pre fixe dinner option will be offered after the first of the year at approximately $35 – three courses including appetizer or soup or salad, entrée choice, and dessert on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
If you are anxious to check out the new Daniel’s I’d suggest calling soon. I know a lot of people looking to rekindle their love affair with this local gem.
For updates on the best things to eat, drink & do in WNY, sign up for our newsletter!
You might also like…