Just Vino offers a warm, “Soho” type setting on a quiet stretch of Main Street in downtown Buffalo- at the corner of Virginia on the edge of Allentown and adjacent to the medical campus. I enjoyed this spot so much I’m reluctant to call too much attention to it – not that fond of crowds. The word “cute” was heard several times. I hesitate to use that description myself, but it certainly should be a stop for anyone who likes wine and/or living well.
Contrary to the name Just Vino has more than just wine, but a wine bar it is, complete with tastings, flights and fine glassware. They also have a nice list of beers by the bottle that any self-respecting Buffalo Brew pounder would feel good about. The owner serves up light bites from a corner using toaster ovens and a crock pot – and they are pretty darn good too.
Some of the food you might find at Just Vino:
- Cup of Soup, chili or stew of the Day(Whatever’s in the Crockpot)- $4
- European Cheese Platter- A fantastic display of Manchego, Roquefort, Aged Gouda, Truffle, and Grana Padano ($13.5)
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Twice Baked Potato ($4.25)
- Gourmet Beef on Weck -shaved strip-steak, caramelized onions, and gorgonzola cheese($4.75)
- Hot Spinach and Red Pepper Cheese Dip- warm cheese dip and artisan bread ($7)
- Humus Plate (Designed for 2 people) -paired with sharp cheddar cheese, pepperoni, cherry tomatoes, carrots, banana peppers, rice cakes and crackers ($8)
- Spanish Plate -Jamon Serrano, chorizo, olives, manchego, other cheeses ($12)
- Pheasant Pâté – pheasant pâté paired with toast, crackers, pickle, and a fig jam ($5)
- Tuscano Sandwich- salami, Roquefort cheese, roasted red peppers, and fig jam on ciabatta bread ($5)
- Mediterranean European Kabob -heated combination of mixed salamis, olives, artichokes, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese tortellini in pesto ($4)
We ordered The Spaniard “Wine Pie”- personal size pie with manchego cheese, jamon and grapes ($5); and Corn and shrimp Cakes – corn and shrimp pancake, topped with sour cream, hot sauce and avocado ($4.50). We were torn between The Spaniard and Italian Marinated Eggplant – personal size pie with provolone cheese, marinated eggplant and touch parmesan ($5). As we say here in Buffalo “next time”. Everything was impressive. Creative, unique, tasty, and priced right – nice combination. Check out their full online menu. Yes, those prices are in U.S. dollars (cheap at twice the price), but the food isn’t even the best thing.
IT”S THE WINE!
Here you have a knowledgeable, and friendly staff with a long list of great wines willing to give you a little or a lot of guidance, and you can even get a tasting before you order. HELLO! If this place was on my block I think I’d be a better person. The wine list is far too long to cover here – see online. Don’t miss the really good stuff on the Reserve List. We tried the Chateau Virgile Costierses du Nime Cotes Du Rhone 2009 – delicious.
Wine & Dine Wednesdays Just Vino puts out the a three course price fix dinner that pairs a half glass of wine with each course plus a bonus half glass of bubbly to start- all for $20. You’ll want to make reservations for this one.
Try the wine flights. They offer a slew of different themed wine flights, generally four tastings in their proper order, for only about $12.
Last but not least Just Vino offers the place up for private parties too. If you have some family or friends that are wine snobs- Bingo! This place will provide you instant hero status.
When you are in the area you simply have to stop in. If you don’t listen I can’t help you, but if you do please just do me a favor and save me a spot.
846 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14202
SOB LISTING | WEBSITE