This downtown walking tour is a chronological walk through architectural time from the mid-nineteenth century to the early twenty-first century. We’ll see excellent examples of all the major architectural styles prevalent in commercial and government office construction during this period, from Beaux Arts to Art Deco to Modern. This tour focuses in particular on the evolution of the tall office building that was enabled by modern technology such as steel frame construction. Some of the buildings featured on this tour include the Guaranty Building, City Hall, One M&T Plaza, and Seneca One. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length and about 1.5 miles of walking. This is an exterior-only tour.
This tour meets at the northeast corner of Pearl & Seneca Streets in downtown Buffalo, across from Pearl Street Grill and Brewery. Use 75 Pearl Street, Buffalo NY 14202 for GPS. Metered parking is available on surrounding streets. Please note that nearby parking lots require payment at all times. The Seneca Station of the Metro Rail is one block away on Main Street.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $15
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email email@example.com to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. Tours generally proceed rain or shine. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.