Built in 1914 for the growing Polish community of Black Rock, the Romanesque Revival church reflects “old world” architectural styles, with Norman brick, Spanish roof tiles and twin towers topped with seven-foot crosses. Assumption originally accommodated 1,500 parishioners inside of its walls, making it one of the largest religious buildings in Buffalo. Today, it is still one of only five 1,000+ seat churches in the city. Visitors will view the church’s wood ceiling, richly painted in the European tradition, colorful rose-wheel windows and two rows of 50 highly decorated stained glass windows depicting the lives of Christ and the Saints. Also on view are murals by Polish artist Jozef Slawinski, whose first commission in the U.S. was here at Assumption Church.
One of the momentous events in Assumption’s history occurred in 1969, when Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, the future Pope and Saint John Paul, II, visited the church.
This tour meets inside Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Church, located at 435 Amherst St., Buffalo, NY 14207. Parking is available in the church’s lot located off of Peter Street. Street parking is also available. Enter the church through the side door, by the parking lot, adjacent to the red rectory building.
- General Admission: $15
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: $10
- Student Admission: $5
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
COVID-19 Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Advance reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass holders. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. All tours are limited to a maximum of 10 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email email@example.com to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Please bring a mask for all Explore Buffalo interior tours, as it may be required of all tour participants by the tour location. Following CDC recommendations and NYS guidelines, unvaccinated individuals are asked to continue to wear a mask on Explore Buffalo tours.
- All guests are asked to maintain a distance of six feet from others in the tour group, except for those in their own household.
- Check-in for all tours will be fully contactless due to the advance reservation requirement. Explore Buffalo requests that tour guests bring their own hand sanitizer to use to follow the recommendations of health authorities for hand sanitizing.
- Please do not attend an Explore Buffalo tour if you have are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the past 14 days; have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days; or have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days. We will be happy to reschedule or refund your reservation.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s COVID-19 policies.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.