Join us for a downtown walking tour of the best of Buffalo architecture and history! The buildings included on this overview tour help to tell the story of Buffalo’s rapid rise to prominence, from the opening of the Erie Canal to the 1901 Pan-American Exposition. Buildings seen on this tour were designed by both nationally and locally significant architects, including Louis Sullivan, Richard Upjohn, Louise Bethune, and EB Green. Perfect for both visitors and residents alike, this tour is an excellent introduction to Buffalo’s architectural heritage. This is an exterior-only tour.
This tour meets outside the Hotel at the Lafayette at 391 Washington Street, at the corner of Clinton Street on Lafayette Square. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length. Two-hour metered parking is available on surrounding streets, and the Adams Ramp is one block away at the corner of Washington and Eagle Streets. The Lafayette Square Station of the Metro Rail is one block away, across Lafayette Square on Main Street.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
COVID-19 Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Advance reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass holders. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. All tours are limited to a maximum of 12 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Following CDC recommendations and NYS guidelines, individuals who are fully vaccinated do not need to wear a mask while attending Explore Buffalo’s outdoor tours. Unvaccinated individuals are asked to continue to wear a mask on Explore Buffalo tours.
- All guests are asked to maintain a distance of six feet from others in the tour group, except for those in their own household.
- Check-in for all tours will be fully contactless due to the advance reservation requirement. Explore Buffalo requests that tour guests bring their own hand sanitizer to use to follow the recommendations of health authorities for hand sanitizing.
- Please do not attend an Explore Buffalo tour if you have are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the past 14 days; have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days; or have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days. We will be happy to reschedule or refund your reservation.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s COVID-19 policies.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.