In the first decade of the twentieth century, the bungalow or Craftsman style – characterized by sheltered porches, sturdy wood moldings, earth tone colors, and interiors centered around a cozy hearth – embodied the romanticized ideal of the American home. On this tour we will explore picturesque Tillinghast Place, a tree-lined street with a wonderful collection of bungalows, Craftsman houses, and the last home built by Frank Lloyd Wright in Buffalo. A history of the rise of the bungalow and a brief history of this special north Buffalo neighborhood will be discussed.
This tour meets at the southeast corner of the intersection of Colvin Avenue & Tilinghast Place, Buffalo, NY 14216. Street parking is available on Tillinghast Place and other nearby streets – note that Tillinghast Place is a one-way street that must be entered from Parkside Avenue. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length and 0.7 miles of walking.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $14
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 18 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. Tours generally proceed rain or shine. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.