Central Park United Methodist Church, dedicated in 1923, was designed to evoke the spirit of English parish churches of the 15th Century which were regarded as centers of community life. Seating 1,300 parishioners, the church occupied land donated by Lewis J. Bennett as part of his vision for the planned Central Park neighborhood.
Constructed of limestone from both local and Indiana-based quarries, the building features a tower placed at the church crossing which allowed the building to fit the scale of the neighborhood. Large buttresses, elaborate arcade and clerestory windows, compound pointed arches, and detailed ornamentation provide excellent examples of the classic Gothic style. Exquisite Grisaille art glass windows and a 70 stop electric organ built by the Skinner Organ Company of Boston are other notable features of the church.
The tour includes a brief history of Bennett’s vision for Central Park, background on the history of Methodism, and a timeline of the important role that the church has played in the life of the North Buffalo community. This tour is approximately one hour in length.
The church is located at 216 Beard Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14214. Ample parking is available on the streets adjacent to the church. The tour meets inside the Wesley Avenue entrance. A wheelchair lift provides access to the main floor of the church.
Sacred Spaces Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: FREE
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: A wheelchair lift provides access to the main floor of the church. Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.