At the end of the nineteenth century, Buffalo was a major American city in the forefront of technological progress. It was a busy inland port and a railroad hub with heavy industry and state-of-the-art electricity – all of which brought great wealth to the city. These economic and technological developments culminated in 1901 when Buffalo hosted a spectacular world’s fair: the Pan-American Exposition.
Experience Buffalo through the eyes of the narrator of Lauren Belfer’s historical novel, City of Light, which is set in Buffalo at the dawn of the twentieth century.
Meet in front of Buffalo Seminary at 205 Bidwell Parkway, Buffalo, NY 14222. Parking is available along both sides of Bidwell Parkway. The City of Light bus tour is approximately three hours in length. The tour typically includes several stops to get off the bus and tour featured buildings. Restrooms are available approximately halfway through the tour; they are not available at the start of the tour.
- General Admission: $42
- Explorer Pass Members: $37
Tour Policies & Details:
- Advance reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Please note that space is limited for this bus tour.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Accessibility: A small amount of stairs are required for this tour, including to get on and off the bus.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- Photography is welcome and encouraged on this tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.