This area was named after Cicero Hamlin, renowned horse breeder and Buffalo businessman, who opened the popular racetrack known as the Buffalo Driving Park here in 1868. In the early 1900s, the area was developed into a suburban-like community. Now the Hamlin Park Historic District, it is the largest African American middle-class community in the nation so designated. We will tour the streets of the former site of the Driving Park, see some great examples of renovations and adaptive reuse, and note the homes and contributions of prominent African-American Buffalonians.
This 90-minute tour starts and ends in front of the Mattress Factory Lofts at 170 Florida Street. This is approximately a 2-mile route, south of East Delevan Street to Brunswick, between Jefferson Street and Humboldt Parkway.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.