Built as the North Presbyterian Church in 1907, the English Country Gothic style building was purchased by the Hellenic Orthodox Church in 1952. Visitors will view the grand hammer beam ceiling interlaced with Greek crosses in the coffering. The iconostasis with royal doors at the front of the church includes icons of the Annunciation, the Transfiguration and the Mother of God. The many stained glass windows by Lamb, Goodhue and Hardman studios portray figures from both the Old and New Testament. In 2002, the church was restored after an arson fire. The 2003 north transept window by Lamb Studios depicts Michael the Archangel distinguishing the fire. Annunciation Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Buffalo City Landmark.
This tour meets in the church parking lot near the side door of the building. Annunciation Church is located at 146 West Utica St., Buffalo, NY 14222. Parking is available in the church lot off of West Utica St. This tour is approximately one hour in length, and is mostly indoors with air conditioning.
Sacred Spaces Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: FREE
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.