This walking tour in the historic Allentown neighborhood focuses on residential architecture of the mid-nineteenth century. Two of Allentown’s most intriguing residential streets, North Pearl and Franklin Streets, feature Victorian style homes largely designed in the Italianate and French Second Empire styles. Located between Main Street and Delaware Avenue, these streets attracted professionals who wanted to combine comfortable suburban living with proximity to the boom of Buffalo’s commerce. Join us for this neighborhood walking tour to see excellent examples of these architectural styles and learn about the history of the houses and individuals who called them home.
This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length. The tour meets outside the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site at 641 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202. Meet by the Franklin Street (back) entrance of the Site, by the parking lot. Parking is available in the TR Site’s parking lot accessible from Franklin Street or Delaware Avenue. Please park close to the TR Site building in either the center section or along the south wall of the parking lot.
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
COVID-19 Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Advance reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass holders. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. All tours are limited to a maximum of 12 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Following CDC recommendations and NYS guidelines, individuals who are fully vaccinated do not need to wear a mask while attending Explore Buffalo’s outdoor tours. Unvaccinated individuals are asked to continue to wear a mask on Explore Buffalo tours.
- All guests are asked to maintain a distance of six feet from others in the tour group, except for those in their own household.
- Check-in for all tours will be fully contactless due to the advance reservation requirement. Explore Buffalo requests that tour guests bring their own hand sanitizer to use to follow the recommendations of health authorities for hand sanitizing.
- Please do not attend an Explore Buffalo tour if you have are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the past 14 days; have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days; or have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days. We will be happy to reschedule or refund your reservation.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s COVID-19 policies.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.