Holy Trinity opened in December 1903 with 1,500 worshippers present at its first service. The English Gothic building was designed by local architects Lansing & Beirel, who also designed the Connecticut Street Armory, Lafayette Presbyeterian Church and Holy Family RC Church in Buffalo. The congregation dates back to 1878, when a group of German immigrants wished to conduct services in English rather than their native tongue, which was not permitted by St. John’s, the main German Lutheran congregation at the time.
Visitors will learn about the church’s Tiffany-style opalescent windows by Calvert & Kimberly and the Gothic Revival stained glass windows by Willet & Company. In addition to the church, visitors will have the opportunity to see the Mansperger Chapel completed in 1959 with its very detailed stained glass windows depicting marriage and prayer.
Holy Trinity is considered the “mother church” to seven other Lutheran congregations that were subsequently established in Buffalo. This tour meets outside of the church at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, located at 1080 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14209. Parking is available in the church’s lot, located next to the building off of Main Street. Street parking is also available.
- General Admission: $17
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: $12
- Student Admission: $7
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.