Explore Buffalo and the Jewish Buffalo History Center are partnering to present a tour of a unique element of Jewish Buffalo history: the Jewish cemeteries along Pine Ridge Road.
These cemeteries have varied histories: some are maintained by active synagogues or organizations and others still cared for (even though the associated synagogues that no longer exist). They are important parts of the Jewish legacy in western New York. Visiting these cemeteries provides a look at the growth and evolution of Buffalo’s Jewish community, as synagogues were formed, grew, and in some cases, merged back together.
This tour will tell the story of Jewish immigrants coming to Buffalo, including the connection between Sokolivka and Buffalo. While there are countless stories to be shared in each cemetery, we have selected a few, highlighting individuals whose monuments can be found in these cemeteries. Some names may be considered well-known, while other names are little known today – yet all mark the graves of individuals with remarkable stories.
As the 90-minute tour progresses through the cemeteries, some of the symbolism and design features found within the cemeteries will be discussed – both on individual monuments, as well as of the cemeteries themselves. This tour will be a unique opportunity to learn more about Buffalo’s Jewish community from a new perspective, and we hope you will join us.
This tour begins at the entrance of Holy Order of the Living Cemetery on Pine Ridge Heritage Boulevard. (Use 580 Pine Ridge Heritage Boulevard, Buffalo, NY 14225 for GPS – there are no street number markers). There is a small brick building on the west side of Pine Ridge Heritage Boulevard where the tour will gather. Parking is available along the side of Pine Ridge Heritage Boulevard. This tour is approximately 0.8 miles in length.
The Jewish Cemetery Tour is part of Explore Buffalo’s Community Cultural Project, presented by Uniland. Explore Buffalo’s walking tours are presented by M&T Bank.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $18
- Children & Students: $8
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. Tours generally proceed rain or shine. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.