Saturday, May 1, 2021 @ 1:00 PM
Tuesday, May 4, 2021 @ 10:00 AM
Saturday, May 8, 2021 @ 11:00 AM
Tuesday, May 18, 2021 @ 10:00 AM
Friday, May 21, 2021 @ 1:00 PM
General Admission: $15
Student Admission: $5
Explorer Pass Members: FREE
At the turn of the twentieth century, Buffalo had grown to become the eighth largest city in America. The wealth generated by commerce and industry enabled the city’s businesses, organizations, and citizens to hire some of the nation’s most prominent architects and use the finest materials available.
On this downtown walking tour, see signature works by some of America’s greatest architects, including the Guaranty Building by Louis Sullivan & Dankmar Adler, the Ellicott Square Building by Daniel Burnham & Co., and St. Paul’s Cathedral by Richard Upjohn. Learn about the prominence of Buffalo on a national scale at the turn of the twentieth century while admirining buildings such as the Old Post Office, St. Joseph’s Cathedral, and Old County Hall. Be sure to bring your camera for some great photo opportunities!
This tour meets outside the Hotel at the Lafayette at 391 Washington Street, at the corner of Clinton Street on Lafayette Square. This tour is approximately ninety minutes in length. Two-hour metered parking is available on surrounding streets, and the Adams Ramp is one block away at the corner of Washington and Eagle Streets. The Lafayette Square Station of the Metro Rail is one block away, across Lafayette Square on Main Street.
COVID-19 Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Advance reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass holders. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. All tours are limited to a maximum of 10 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- It is required that both tour guests and the Explore Buffalo docent wear a face covering over their mouth and nose at all times. In addition, all tour guests must maintain a distance of at least six feet from others in the tour group, except for those in their own household.
- At this time, all Explore Buffalo tours are fully outdoors; no building interiors will be included until further notice. Please note that restrooms are generally unavailable during any Explore Buffalo tour at this time.
- All Explore Buffalo tours will be 100% contactless due to our advance reservations requirement (no sign-in process) and tours being fully outdoors (no doorknobs, handrails, etc.). Explore Buffalo requests that tour guests bring their own hand sanitizer to use to follow the recommendations of health authorities for frequent hand washing and/or sanitizing.
- Please do not attend an Explore Buffalo tour if you have are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or have experienced COVID-19 symptoms within the past 14 days; have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days; or have been in close contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days. We will be happy to reschedule or refund your reservation.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s COVID-19 policies.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.