Our Lady of Perpetual Help was designed by renowned architects Williams Lansing and Max G. Beirel. Lansing was supervising architect of the 1901 Pan-American Exposition buildings. Constructed of Medina sandstone, the building is designed in the Gothic Style. Founded in 1897 by Roman Catholic Bishop James Quigley, this church in Old First Ward primarily served Irish Immigrants who also donated time to build the church.
The stained glass windows from Tyrolean-Riedel glass in Bavaria bathe the Church in radiant colors through the daytime. The church is in the midst of a restoration of the historic windows. In conjunction with McHugh Church Restorations they have spent over $80,000 of money donated and raised for the project over several years. These repairs became critical after high winds in December, 2021 threatened the destruction of several windows including the “Nativity” window. The only Catholic Church remaining in the Old First Ward, “Pets,” as it is nicknamed, is rebuilding and reaching out to folks in the neighborhood and surrounding areas.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is located at 115 O’Connell Street, Buffalo NY 14204. Parking is available in the church parking lot directly behind the church, or street parking is available on nearby streets. This tour is approximately 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes in length.
Sacred Spaces Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: $12
- Children & Students: $7
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email email@example.com to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: A wheelchair lift is available in the rear of the church near the parking lot, and the church interior is accessible. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.