In 1890, following deaths resulting from people crossing the railroad tracks on their way to Saint Stanislaus Church on Fillmore Avenue, Fr Jan Pitass petitioned Bishop Ryan for permission to establish a new parish. Although construction of the new church was hampered when high winds destroyed the Swinburne Street wall of the church, it was completed on November 13, 1892 and dedicated on January 4, 1893 by Bishop Ryan, who at the same time blessed the three church bells, which weighed 1500, 800 and 300 pounds. Highlights of the presentation include the sanctuary windows and murals; the Rose window; the life sized Last Supper wooden sculpture; our 46 ft high marble altar with the life-sized crucifix of Christ (to be seen as you enter the building from Broadway); and the Barckhoff pipe organ. Other interesting historical information will be presented by a member of the parish.
Historic Saint John Kanty Church is located on Broadway between Brownell and Swinburne Streets, Buffalo, NY 14212. Parking is available in the church parking lot (park close to Broadway). Entry to the church is via the main entrance on Broadway. This tour is approximately one hour in length and is indoors.
Sacred Spaces Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: FREE
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.