The City of Tonawanda played a significant role in the development of the Niagara Frontier. With its rapid growth upon the opening of the Erie Canal it became one of the most important centers of the lumber
industry. We will wander through the streets of the City exploring the remnants of its gloried past including one of the most opulent armories built in New York State, a pocket park leading to a street of magnificent Victorian homes built by the lumber barons, and a remaining train station that served as many as 100 trains a day.
Meet outside the Tonawanda “Castle” at 69 Delaware Street, City of Tonawanda. Street parking is available along nearby streets around the Tonawanda Castle. This tour is approximately 90 minutes in length and approximately 1.52 miles walking.
Walking Tour Prices:
- General Admission: $17
- Children & Students: $7
- Explorer Pass Members: FREE
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email email@example.com or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at email@example.com or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. Tours generally proceed rain or shine. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.