Trinity Episcopal Church is nationally recognized for having one of the finest stained glass collections in the country. It is one of only two churches in the world to display opalescent windows by masters John LaFarge and Louis Comfort Tiffany together in the same building. Of note is LaFarge’s, “The Sealing of the Twelve Tribes,” which was exhibited at the Paris Exposition of 1889 and earned him the Legion of Honor from the French government.
The 1886 Victorian Gothic style church was designed by Cyrus Porter, who worked off of Arthur Gilman’s original plans (Gillman designed the original Christ Chapel on the site in 1869). Additional windows and interior decorations were added by LaFarge, Tiffany, Mayer of Munich, and William Gibson between 1887 and 1897. Trinity’s team of docents will lead guests through this impressive collection of Victorian art and architecture.
This tour meets at Trinity Episcopal Church at 371 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202. Street parking is available along Delaware Avenue and other nearby streets.
- General Admission: $17
- Student Admission: $7
- Explorer Pass Member Admission: FREE
Note that proceeds from each Sacred Spaces tour are shared with the participating house of worship to support maintenance of their historic building.
Tour Procedures & Policies:
- Reservations are required for all tours, including for Explorer Pass members. Walk-ups without reservations cannot be accommodated. Tours are generally limited to a maximum of 15 people per group.
- Reservations close two hours before the tour’s scheduled start time (for example, reservations close at 8am for a 10am tour).
- Reservations can be made online; please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 245-3032 if you need assistance.
- If you have an Explore Buffalo walking pass (orange or blue), please email email@example.com to reserve your tour.
- The Explore Buffalo docent for your tour will have a list of tour reservations for their tour; you do not need to print or bring any tour confirmation.
- Children & Student Admission is for children ages 6-18 or college students with a valid student ID. Children ages 5 and under are free and do not require a reservation.
- Accessibility: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 245-3032 if you plan to attend this tour and will require accommodations or if you have questions about accessibility.
- If you feel ill or suspect you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please do not attend any Explore Buffalo tours. We will be happy to refund your reservation or welcome you to join us at a later date.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. In the event of weather that requires a tour cancellation, we will contact registered tour guests in advance of the tour.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
- By confirming your reservation for any Explore Buffalo tour, you acknowledge and accept Explore Buffalo’s tour policies.