This tour showcases what makes Buffalo unique. From our beautiful Read more [...]
Event Category: Tours
Upcoming Dates:Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSunday, June 24, 2018 @ 10:00 AMWednesday, July 11, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSunday, July 15, 2018 @ 10:00 AMWednesday, August 15, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSunday, August 19, 2018 @ 10:00 AM
The gorgeous houses on either side of Bidwell Parkway, especially those designed by the well-known local firm of Esenwein & Johnson, are the highlights of the tour. The beautiful Parkway with its rows of trees became one of Buffalo’s most fashionable residential addresses, and its popularity continues today as the center of the Elmwood Village.
While strolling the Parkway designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux as part of their park and parkway system for the growing city of Buffalo, learn about the “Civil War District” they laid out that included Soldiers Circle, Lincoln Parkway, Bidwell Parkway, Bidwell Place, Chapin Parkway, and Chapin Place. Along the way, see a house designed using H. H. Richardson’s plans and examine the large sculpture by Larry Griffis, “Flight of Birds,” and the newest public art in Buffalo, “Eden.”
This tour meets at the intersection of Bidwell Parkway and Soldiers Place, Buffalo, NY 14222. Abundant street parking is available along Bidwell, Chapin, or Lincoln Parkways.
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!