Event Category: Tours
Upcoming Dates:Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSunday, July 1, 2018 @ 2:00 PMWednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSunday, August 5, 2018 @ 2:00 PMWednesday, August 22, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
The Columbus Park area of the Prospect Hill neighborhood is rich in history and architecture with a spectacular view of Lake Erie and wonderful lake breezes. The elegant homes that line the entrance to the Peace Bridge tell the story of some of Buffalo’s wealthiest citizens in an area defined by the Erie canal, Olmsted’s Front Park, and Fort Porter. Hear about the healing spring waters that ran through the area causing it to became a travel destination for many and the beautiful hotels that catered to those travelers. Known as Doctor’s Row, this neighborhood became home to generations of Italian-American families including the founder of our Columbus Day holiday. Come stroll the area and learn about its incredible history and the current challenges the neighborhood faces to preserve its heritage in face of the Peace Bridge expansion.
This tour meets at the statue of Christopher Columbus in Columbus Park, on Porter Avenue. Ample on-street parking is available on Columbus Parkway or other nearby streets.
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is between ninety minutes and two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!