Upcoming Dates: Mondays-Wednesdays 1:00 PM Thursdays – Sunda Read more [...]
Event Category: Tours
The best way to appreciate Buffalo’s many grain elevators is from the water! From a kayaking perspective, the massive scale of the grain elevators and silos will be even more awe-inspiring. Join us for a kayak tour of the Buffalo River and its grain elevators in partnership with Elevator Alley Kayak, who will provide the kayaks for this urban adventure tour. Learn about the history of the grain elevators in Buffalo and have many terrific photo opportunities on this guided kayak tour!
Meet at Elevator Alley Kayak at The Barrel Factory at 65 Vandalia Street, Buffalo, NY 14204 – at the corner of Hamburg and Republic Streets, across from Gene McCarthy’s. The tour will launch from Mutual Riverfront Park, a one-block walk from The Barrel Factory. Parking is available at the Barrel Factory (parking lot on Vandalia Street, or street parking on surrounding streets).
- General Admission: $45
- Student Admission: $40
- Explorer Pass Holders: $40
- Reservations are required for this tour: a limited number of kayaks are available.
- The minimum age for this tour is 14 years old.
- Please arrive at least twenty minutes before the tour begins. The tour departs promptly at the starting time, and we are unable to accommodate late arrivals.
- For check in at the beginning of the tour, please print your reservation confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately two and a half hours in length, including time at the beginning of the tour to review basic kayaking technique and launch the kayaks.
- Tour participants must be able to kayak approximately four miles, from Mutual Riverfront Park to Canalside and back.
- Kayak rental is included in the tour price. All kayaks used on this tour must be from Elevator Alley Kayak; bringing your own kayak is not permitted.
- In the event of strong winds (generally, over 15 MPH), heavy rain, lightning, or other serious weather, the tour will be cancelled. The tour will proceed with light rain.
- In the event of a tour cancellation, you will be notified by email and/or phone call. You will have the option to transfer your reservation to another tour date or have your payment refunded.
- See our FAQs page for our refund policy and answers to other questions.
What to wear and bring:
- Footwear: Sandals and water shoes that fasten securely are your best option. Cotton socks are not recommended.
- Clothing: You will get splashed on this tour – cotton and other absorbent fabrics are not recommended.
- Hats & sunglasses: There’s very little shade on the Buffalo River! You’ll want a hat and/or sunglasses to shield you from the sun and reduce the glare.
- Sunscreen: You will be in the sun on this entire tour – sunscreen is essential. Waterproof sunscreen is best.
- Dry bag: A dry bag to protect your valuables from getting wet is highly recommended. A ziplock bag works well as an inexpensive option.
- Water: Bring a water bottle to keep you hydrated on the tour – there are no stops along the way on this tour.
- Cameras: Photos are encouraged on this tour, but please note there is a good chance your camera may get wet.