Event Category: Tours
Upcoming Dates:Saturday, June 16, 2018 @ 11:00 AMThursday, June 21, 2018 @ 1:00 PMThursday, June 28, 2018 @ 1:00 PMThursday, July 5, 2018 @ 1:00 PMThursday, July 12, 2018 @ 1:00 PMThursday, July 19, 2018 @ 1:00 PMSaturday, July 21, 2018 @ 11:00 AMThursday, July 26, 2018 @ 1:00 PM
Join us for a tour of the only rowing boathouse designed by Frank Lloyd Wright! Originally designed by Wright in 1905 for the University of Wisconsin, the Boathouse was never built until its construction in 2007 in Buffalo along the shore of the Black Rock Channel. This was one of Wright’s favorite designs, as evidenced by his inclusion of the Boathouse in his now-famous Wasmuth Portfolio.
Today the boathouse is being used for its original purpose as an active rowing facility, providing a unique opportunity to see one of Wright’s designs being used as originally intended. On the tour, you’ll learn about why it was never constructed in Wisconsin, and how it came to be built in Buffalo.
The tour includes both the exterior and interior of the Boathouse, providing an in-depth look at a masterpiece of Prairie Style design. While on the tour, enjoy the spectacular views of Lake Erie, the Niagara River, and the Canadian shore from the Boathouse – be sure to bring your camera!
Meet at the Boathouse at 1 Rotary Row, Buffalo, NY 14201. Take Porter Avenue west, and immediately after crossing the I-190 expressway, turn right at the Fontana Boathouse sign. Follow the driveway back to the Boathouse, where there is ample on-site parking.
- General Admission: $10
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is approximately one hour in length.
- This tour proceeds rain or shine.
- Interior photography is permitted and encouraged.