Event Category: Tours
Upcoming Dates:Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 10:00 AMThursday, July 12, 2018 @ 6:00 PMSaturday, July 21, 2018 @ 10:00 AMSunday, August 5, 2018 @ 10:00 AMSaturday, August 25, 2018 @ 10:00 AM
This Buffalo neighborhood is on the National Register for Historic Places. It was once the site of popular horse-drawn carriage races at the Buffalo Driving Park, established by internationally-renowned horse breeder and Buffalo businessman Cicero Hamlin. At the turn of the twentieth century, the Driving Park site and surrounding farmland were developed into a planned, suburban-like community for Buffalo’s growing middle class.
This neighborhood connected to the Olmsted Park System via the Humboldt Parkway, which connected Delaware Park with today’s Martin Luther King Parkway. The neighborhood was also joined by the campus of Canisius College. While the Parkway was unfortunately lost to highway construction, Hamlin Park remains a proud neighborhood of historic homes. Come explore this historic neighborhood with us to learn about the history of the influential Hamlin family and development of the neighborhood while seeing many excellent examples of early twentieth century residential building styles.
This tour meets in front of the Canisius College Student Center at 98 Hughes Avenue, Buffalo, NY, 14208. Street parking on Hughes Avenue and other surrounding streets is available.
- General Admission: $15
- Student Admission: $5
- Explorer Pass Holders: FREE
- Advance reservations are encouraged but not required for this tour.
- All credit card payments must be made in advance. Advance reservations with a credit card can be made online until the tour starting time. Cash or checks are accepted at the start of the tour.
- If you make an advance reservation, please print your confirmation email, or be prepared to show it on your phone.
- This tour is between ninety minutes and two hours in length.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather – the tour will proceed rain or shine.
- Cameras are encouraged!