To begin this re-cap, I have to say – Buffalo hit HARD on brunch this year. It was a year of many transitions for the Buffalo restaurant scene. We saw devastating restaurant closings like Seabar and Cecelia’s, exciting openings like Daniela, Waxlight Bar a Vin, and Barrel + Brine on Chandler St. Mainstays like Black Sheep, Ballyhoo, Hydraulic Hearth, and Dapper Goose became even stronger presences. The biggest shift I felt this year, however, was the upward swing in enthusiasm for the blessed brunch. It is, after all, the best meal that exists!
Personally, I made it a point to visit the restaurants that I love the most this year for brunch each weekend, and didn’t really try as many new places. IDK – I guess it’s a thing as you get older (I know, I’m not old), I just have some favs that I know provide quality food every time. And that’s becoming more and more important to me, so take this list as you will and send me your feedback – good and bad. Oh also, you’ll notice from this list – Buffalo’s French toast game LEVELED UP this year. FRFR.
So here it is, my 2019 best brunch dish roundup:
1. Crab Toast from Dapper Goose
2. Bakery 55 French Toast Sticks at The Draft Room
3. Egg on a Roll w/ Prosciutto from Remedy House
View this post on Instagram
There’s a lot going on in both of these pics but it’s bc you MUST know about the amazingness that is Fresh Catch Poke Co.’s brunch served on Saturdays and Sundays – in addition to their regular menu! ⚡️⚡️⚡️ The tuna pokecado toast, açaí bowl, fresh coconut water, @snowyowlko kombucha, and @glenedithcoffee cold brew were the perfect kick my mom and I needed to start our day. I just love this place, and I cannot WAIT for them to open their downtown location at 500 Pearl. #poke #avocadotoast #acaibowl #buffalobrunch
4. Tuna Pokecado Toast from Fresh Catch Poke Co.
5. Root Vegetable Pot Pie special from Swan St. Diner
6. Ham Steak from The Black Sheep
7. Chorizo Breakfast Echerrito w/ verde enchilada sauce from Barrel + Brine
8. Fried curry chicken benedict from Winfield’s Star Wars brunch (non-recurring brunch)
9. Short Rib Hash from Billy Club
10. Crab Omelette from Toutant
11. Brioche French Toast from Pastry by Camille
12. Georgian Bread from Roost
13. Vlad’s Breakfast Sandwich from Public Espresso + Coffee
14. Brunch Salad from The Grange Community Kitchen