If you’re stir crazy and need a mini vacay that doesn’t totally break the bank, we’ve created an easy-to-follow itinerary of some of the coolest hidden gem shops, nature detours, mouthwatering finds, and unique attractions around Chautauqua Lake and Jamestown.
From Scandinavian foods, and the renowned Comedy museum, to a restaurant with a $4 and under menu, wildlife sanctuary, locally-made maple products, and so much more, you will NOT be disappointed with a visit to this nearby city! The area is rich in natural beauty, restored history, entertainment, and hole-in-the-wall places that deserve to be explored, all within 1-2 hours from Buffalo, NY and the surrounding suburbs.
Let’s get into it! We’ll start with a “quick itinerary” as sort of a table of contents, then move on to a detailed itinerary with tons of info to help you navigate your next adventure.
- Long Point State Park on Lake Chautauqua
- Peterson Farm
- The Hidden Exclusive Grill
- Lucille Ball Memorial Park/Celoron Light House
- Killa Kookies & Kream
- Fenton History Center Museum
- National Comedy Center
- Riverwalk Bike Path/Bridge
- 4 Below Haggy’s Bar and Grill
- Chautauqua Harbor Hotel
- Ryder’s Cup Coffee Shop
- Big Tree Maple
- Audubon Community Nature Center
- VSK Emporium
- Chautauqua Bookstore
- Andriaccio’s Restaurant
1. Long Point State Park on Chautauqua Lake
- Location: Turn onto Long Point Road off the 430 and drive all the way to the end of the road to the piers.
- Things To Do: *Seasonally changes*
- Spring/Summer/Fall: Fish. Hike. Bike. Swim. Have a picnic. Sit along the lake.
- Winter: Winter Fishing. Walk on top of the icy lake. Snowshoe.
2. Peterson Farm
Started in 1957, Peterson Farm is a family-owned and -operated farm offering local homegrown produce, flowers, Scandinavian foods and specialties for the large Nordic population in Jamestown. They also have a Scandinavian gift shop called “Scandinavian Corner” with new items imported from Sweden.
- Location: 3260 Fluvanna Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Wed-Sat, 10AM-5PM. Closed Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday.
- Things To Do: Buy produce. Scandinavian foods/products. Scandinavian gift shop with unique items. Greenhouse in the Spring-Fall seasons.
3. The Hidden Exclusive Grill: Home of the Original Philly Cheesesteak
- Location: 1000 W 6th St #5225, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Tues-Sat, 11AM-7PM. Closed Sunday & Monday
- Menu: Philly Cheesesteaks, Chicken Philly, Chicken Fingers, Chicken Jumbo Nuggets, Fries…
- Price: $
4. Lucille Ball Memorial Park / Celoron Lighthouse
- Location: 21 Boulevard Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Everyday, 6AM-8PM
- Things To Do: Take pictures of lighthouse and Lucille Ball statue.
5. Killa Kookies & Kream
- Location: 3423 Fluvanna Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Mon, 10AM-4PM. Wed-Sat, 8AM-6PM. Sun, 10AM-3PM. Closed Tuesdays.
- Menu: Pastries, Cake Balls, Ice Cream, Bread, Coffee, Soups, Sandwiches…
- Price: $
6. Fenton History Center Museum
1863 Victorian family home of former NY State Governor and US Senator, Ruben E. Fenton, used as a Jamestown history museum with curated exhibits, educational programs, events, along with walking tours.
- Location: 67 Washington St, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Mon-Sat, 10AM-5PM. Closed Sunday
- Price: $10 for Adults, Free for 17 years old & under
7. National Comedy Center
The non-profit National Comedy Center is the United States’ official cultural institution, state-of-the-art museum with 50 immersive exhibits dedicated to presenting the vital story of comedy and preserving its heritage for future generations.
- Location: 203 W 2nd St, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Thurs-Mon, 10AM-5PM. Closed Tuesday & Wednesday.
- Price: *Make Reservations Ahead of Time*
- $25.50 Adult
- $23.50 Senior (60+)
- $18.50 Youth (13-17)
- $12.50 Child (6-12)
- $19.50 Chautauqua County Resident
- $18.50 Active Military and Veterans Discount
8. Jamestown Riverwalk Bike Path/Bridge
Jamestown Riverwalk is a 5-mile urban trail system that follows the Chadakoin River through Downtown Jamestown.
- Location: Bridge along Jamestown Riverwalk is located behind the National Comedy Center
- Things to do: Walking, Jogging, Biking, Rollerblading, Take Pictures
9. 4 Below Haggy’s Bar & Grill
- Location: 104 E 2nd St, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Mon-Wed, 4PM-10PM. Thurs-Sat, 11AM-11PM. Closed Sundays
- Menu: Bar Food, Wraps, Salads, Daily Specials.
- Price: $4 and Under Menu (Includes a section that is up to $9)
10. Chautauqua Harbor Hotel
- Location: 10 Dunham Ave, Celoron, NY 14720
- Price: $$
- Rating: 4-Star Hotel
- Things To Do: *Seasonally Changes* Swim in the pool, Sit by the fire outside, Walk along the lake, Outside Bar
1. Ryder’s Cup Coffee Shop
- Location: 28 Chautauqua Ave, Lakewood, NY 14750
- Hours: Mon-Sat, 7AM-2PM. Sunday, 9AM-2PM.
- Price: $
- Menu: Coffee, Tea, Smoothies, Baked goods, Breakfast
2. Big Tree Maple
Big Tree Maple sugar house produces a full selection of maple products including maple syrup, maple cream, molded maple sugar candy, and granulated maple sugar. Open all year 24/7 self-service stand. *BRING CASH OR CHECK*
- Location: 2040 Holly Ln, Lakewood, NY 14750
- Hours: Open 24/7 year-round, self-serving stand.
- Price: $
3. Audubon Community Nature Center
Audubon Community Nature Center is a 570-acre wetland preserve that includes over five miles of trails, a native tree arboretum, picnic areas, and educational gardens. The Nature Center building has 3 floors of interactive exhibits, including live animals and a Blue Heron Gift Shop. You can also visit Liberty, a non-releasable Bald Eagle, in her enclosure near the building.
- Location: 1600 Riverside Rd, Jamestown, NY 14701
- Hours: Trails and grounds are open dusk to dawn. Nature Center Building and gift shop is open 10AM-4:30PM, Mon-Sat. Closed Sunday.
- Price: Trails and grounds are free to explore. Nature Center Building admission is $6 for Adults, $2 for children. $15 max per family.
- Things To Do: *Seasonally changes* Walk trails, Watch wildlife, Snowshoe, Attend workshops, programs, and events that are scheduled year-round. Go to Nature Center and Blue Heron Gift Shop.
4. VSK Emporium
LARGE quality antique shop and Indoor Flea Market
- Location: 54 W Main St, Frewsburg, NY 14738
- Hours: Wed-Sat, 10AM-5PM. Sun, 12PM-5PM. Closed Monday & Tuesday.
- Price: $
5. Chautauqua Bookstore
Bookstore and gift shop with Chautauqua merchandise.
- Location: 67 Bestor Plaza, Chautauqua, NY 14722 on the grounds of Chautauqua Institution in the lower level of the Chautauqua Post Office.
- Hours: Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM. Sat-Sun, 11AM-5PM.
- Price: $-$$, June-August there may be parking fees for Chautauqua Institution
6. Andriaccio’s Restaurant
- Location: 4837 W Lake Rd, Mayville, NY 14757
- Hours: Wed-Thurs, 4PM-8PM. Fri-Sat, 11AM-9PM. Sun, 11AM-8PM. Closed Monday & Tuesday.
- Price: $$
- Menu: Italian, Pasta, Calzones, Bombers, Burgers, Salads, Pizza, Wings
Did one of these places close? Send us a note!