Dance is a fun way to spark creativity and release energy and excitement! Plus, it can positively impact a kid’s physical, emotional, and mental health.
If you’ve been thinking about signing your kids up for dance, you’re in luck because a brand-new school of dance is opening in Buffalo starting in October.
JCC Buffalo School of Dance will be offering classes for kids ages 3 through 13, including everything from ballet and tap to jazz to hip hop. Different classes will be available at the Benderson Family Building in Getzville and the Holland Family Building in Buffalo. Registration is now open – click here to register!
Different classes offer different benefits. Here’s a quick overview of the classes available to kids at JCC Buffalo School of Dance:
- Preschool Creative movement/Pre-Ballet (Trolls Theme) explores different ways to move and express through music and movement while learning beginning ballet moves, along with gross motor skills such as skipping, hopping and leaping. All the fun and creativity will be set to the musical stylings of Dreamworks’ Trolls.
- Pre-ballet/Stretch explores different ways to move and express through music and movement while learning beginning ballet moves, along with working on stretch, flexibility and gross motor skills such as skipping, hopping and leaping.
- Tots Tap teaches basic tap steps through repetition, building coordination and balance, and strengthening muscles. Additionally children will work on counting and step patterns.
- Ballet/Jazz Combo (Tues Class is Disney Theme)
- Ballet: Learn the fundamentals of barre, center and adagio throughout the class while focusing on maintaining proper alignment and core stability. Dancers will increase their flexibility and develop their poise and grace.
- Jazz: Learn isolations of the body, proper alignment and rhythmic aspects of dance. Class begins with a warm up, followed by across the floor phrases that include turns and leaps. Dancers will finish class by learning a combo!
- Ballet & Lyrical
- Ballet: Learn the fundamentals of barre, center and adagio throughout the classes while focusing on maintaining proper alignment and core stability. Dancers will increase their flexibility and develop their poise and grace.
- Lyrical: Build fluidity through the music by using both ballet and jazz techniques, along with the music and lyrics as inspiration.
- Musical Theater Jazz focuses on learning various styles of Broadway. Students will learn about stage presence, telling a story through dance, and gain more confidence in performing on stage along with isolations of the body, proper alignment and rhythmic aspects of dance. Dancers will finish class by learning a phrase to some of our favorite musical numbers!
- Tap is all about developing rhythm, style and sound. In these classes, students will learn all sorts of tap styles from Broadway to Rhythm tap. The focus here is building flexibility of the knees and ankles, coordination, and speed of movement.
- Ballet is the foundation of all dance styles. You’ll learn the fundamentals needed to improve flexibility and develop poise and grace.
- Hip-Hop is a high-energy class that infuses the latest styles of street dancing, breaking, popping, and locking. Don’t worry parents, all of the music and moves are age appropriate.
- Contemporary focuses on spatial and body awareness, using the weight of your limbs to move through space, as well as efficiency of movement into and out of the floor, while also finding your musicality and personal expression. Class will finish off with a contemporary phrase.
Finding the right classes is much easier when you ask the experts! Simply reach out to JCC School of Dance and they will happily tell you all about the classes available at both of their locations. P.S. When you’re ready to sign up, you can register your kids online.