What is Nickel City Chef?
Nickel City Chef is a competition between two WNY Chefs where they face off in two top of the line kitchens at at Artisan Kitchens on Buffalo’s West Side. The chefs make 3 courses featuring a secret ingredient from a local business – similar to Iron Chef, but Western New York style. The idea is to showcase what the chefs can really do when pushing their culinary talents to the limit while featuring local farm foods at their best. Guests look on while enjoying light fare and beverages as the chefs compete for the Nickel City Chef title. All of the shows have been sold out for quite a while, but that won’t stop us from enjoying the results!
Match Up Numero Uno
Yesterday, 2/23 was the first of four match ups planned for the 2014 series. Chef Jeff Cooke Jr. from Osteria 166 challenged Nickel City Chef Adam Goetz from CRAVing. The secret ingredient? Winter carrots from CAO’s Green Entrepreneurial Center.
After an hour of working their asses off to prepare 3 courses using CARROTS and with help from their sous chefs, Chef Jeff from Osteria 166 served up:
- Carrot Gnocchi, Osteria’s lamb pancetta, sage-carrot cream
- Carrot Jus-Braised Boneless Beef Short Rib butter roasted carrot, celeriac puree
- Carrot Studded ‘Fudge’ dark chocolate, peanut butter, toasted walnut, carrot cream
Chef Adam from CRAVing presented:
- Carrot Agnolotti, spinach/brown butter pesto, housesmoked bacon lardon, carrot/apple/ginger broth
- Carrot stuffed lamb loin, carrot “spaetzel”, buttered carrot pearls, chanterelles, carrot top cream
- Peas & Carrots, carrot pastry cream, pea whipped cream, carrot eclair, basil/mint oil, pea shoots, etc
Who ended up winning this match up??
Nickel City Chef Adam Goetz from CRAVing! Which means he keeps his title.
There are 3 more Nickel City Chef competitions to come. Dates & match ups are as follows:
Sunday, March 9, 2014: Nickel City Chef JJ Rickert of Torches vs Challenging Chef Lennon Lewandowski of Oliver’s
Sunday, March 23, 2014: Nickel City Chef Jennifer Boye of mansion on Delaware Avenue vs Challenging Chef Michael Dimmer of Black Market Food Truck
Sunday, April 6, 2014: Nickel City Chef Brian Mietus of Bacchus vs Challenging Chef Corey Kley of Rue Franklin
Remember, these events are all sold out. Check back here for info on who won each competition and what they made. We got all of our information from following @NickelCityChef on Twitter – they were live tweeting the whole thing and from their website, nickelcitychef.com. Check out their photos of the dishes & other commentary @ twitter.com/NickelCityChef.
SOB FEATURED RESTAURANTS
- Dina’s in Ellicottville: Too Good to be True? | Review
- Escape to Russell’s & Salvatore’s Grand Hotel | Review
- Dinosaur Bar-B-Que – Worth the Wait? | Feature
- Siena: Too Good Not to Notice | Review
- SATO Spans the Culinary Spectrum | Feature
- The Phoenix – An American Tavern in Black Rock | Review
Posts FROM STEP OUT BUFFALO
- For the Love of Bread(Hive)
- VIDEO: House of Anhalt, Laura: Homemade
- Top 10 Best Places For Chicken Wings With Family
- 10 Things we LOVE in Buffalo
- 7Uber-Chocolaty Beers
- Buffalo Gets a Wine Truck – Sorta
- 28 Days of Pizza