While hanging out at a cemetery might sound a little too creepy for you, rest assured Forest Lawn is not your average creepy cemetery. With over 269 acres, Forest Lawn is more like a location in a Disney film than a dilapidated cemetery. This park boasts rolling hills, paved walkways, lakes, streams and “sculptural masterpieces.”
Aside from strolling or biking down the paths, they host many events and have highly-praised, award-winning guided tours (listed #2 on Trip Advisor’s list of things to do in Buffalo). This year they are kicking off their 21st year of tours beginning June 18th through October. The first tour, a Civil War trolley tour, is already sold out but have no fear- there are plenty more where that came from.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT TOUR FOR YOU
Not sure which tour would be the best fit for you? Forest Lawn has several different tours sure to spark at least one of your interests. For the full calendar of events, click here.
- Moonlight Walking Tour: begins at dusk, and takes you throughout the park on a stroll under the moonlight- it’s an eerily beautiful way to appreciate the park.
- All Wright All Day: this tour is a MUST for any Frank Lloyd Wright fans or architecture lovers. Forest Lawn’s trolley will take you all over the city to appreciate Wright’s work and hear exclusive stories and information from an expert guide. The tour begins at Forest Lawn, goes to the Martin house, the the Filling Station designed by Wright inside the Pierce Arrow Museum. They provide a quick bite of lunch on the waterfront, then the tour continues to the Fontana Boathouse on the Black Rock Canal, Graycliff, and Forest Lawn’s famous Blue Sky Mausoleum. This tour will leave you appreciating Buffalo’s gorgeous architecture like no other.
- Pan-American Exposition Trolley Tour: Expand your knowledge and appreciation for the Pan-American Exposition with this tour. Beginning at Forest Lawn then continuing to the new Pan-American Brewery located inside the Hotel at the Lafayette downtown, you will have lunch (included) and a mini tour of the hotel’s recent restoration. After lunch, head to the Buffalo History Museum recource center to check out the interactive “Spirit of the City” exhibit, all about Buffalo’s Pan-American exposition. After that, head to the Pan-Am grounds to see the spot where President McKinley was assassinated.
- Famous History Trolley Tour: Take a dive into Forest Lawn’s extensive history, learning all about the art, architecture, rural cemetery movement and wildlife of the cemetery.
- Millard Fillmore- His life, loves and legacy in WNY: Taking you throughout Buffalo and East Aurora, learn about Millard Fillmore’s life in WNY, his personal life, and political career. Have lunch at East Aurora’s historic Roycroft Inn, and learn more about Buffalo’s political history and visit iconic spots such as City Hall, Statler City and the Buffalo Club.
- Artwork on the Canvas of Forest Lawn: Hear the history and interesting stories behind the artwork and sculptures all over the cemetery.
- Inside Gatehouse walking tour: This tour gives you a peek inside Forest Lawn’s gatehouses as well as taking you on a tour throughout many famous Buffalonians’ graves.
To purchase tickets to any of these exciting tours, click here. Members of the Forest Lawn Heritage Foundation can get free tickets to many of the tours and discounted tickets to the others.
If you would rather design your own private tour for a group of friends or family, you can do that too. Just pick your people and time, and Forest Lawn will set up a tour exclusively for you. They’ll even provide round-trip transportation within a 10-mile radius of the park. To make arrangements for your group tour, contact Forest Lawn’s Director of Interpretive Programming at 716-885-1606 ext. 302 or via email at email@example.com.
Forest Lawn Cemetery Tours and Events
WHERE: 1411 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo
WHEN: Various dates and times beginning June 18th and running through October