Statler Café at the Martin House

  • Statler Café at the Martin House
  • Statler Café at the Martin House
  • Statler Café at the Martin House
  • Statler Café at the Martin House

Restaurant Category: Quick Serve

Profile
Profile
More Info
Map
Related Listing
  • Once a historic (non-Wright designed) carriage house, the building was renovated to create a café offering “grab and go” sandwiches, salads, hot and cold beverages, snacks and more. The facility will be open from spring to fall in conjunction with tours. The café is the newest addition to the 1.5-acre historic estate, and leverages an adjacent carriage house associated with a residence that was demolished in the late 1960s. The Statler Café has reinvigorated the space and is located in a park-like setting on the north side of the estate, adjacent to the Barton House and Pergola. The Statler Foundation, which was established in 1934 and named in honor of the esteemed hotel executive Ellsworth Statler and wife Alice, provided support for the renovations.+

    Statler was a pioneer and innovator in the hotel industry and a contemporary of Darwin Martin. Additional funding was provided by New York State – Empire State Development. All proceeds support the programs and preservation of the National Historic Landmark and NYS Historic Site. “We are excited to have a quick and easy option for our visitors to grab a drink or a bite to eat, as a customer amenity while visiting.” said Mary Roberts, executive director for the Martin House. “We especially love the homage paid to the original carriage turntable in the middle of the floor, signifying the historical relevance of the building.”

    ABOUT THE MARTIN HOUSE Frank Lloyd Wright’s Martin House, designed and built from 1903-05, is considered by Wright scholars to be a significant turning point in the evolution of Wright’s Prairie house concept. The estate consists of the main Martin House, pergola, conservatory and carriage house, the Barton House and a gardener’s cottage, totaling nearly 32,000 square feet. Wright called the Martin House his “opus,” and had its plans tacked above his drafting board for decades. Reconstruction of the pergola, conservatory and carriage house was completed in early 2007 as one component of the most ambitious restoration of a Wright site to date. The Martin House site is open for tours year-round. More information about this National Historic Landmark and NYS Historic Site, including tour reservations, is online. Visit www.martinhouse.org

  • Good For::
    • Family
    • Handicap Access
    • Lunch
    • Outdoor Seating
    • Weekend Lunch
    Parking Notes: Parking Lot
  • No Records Found

    Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

    Google Map Not Loaded

    Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.