Dyngus Day and Buffalo: they practically go hand-in-hand. Literally, Buffalo has been named the Dyngus Day capital of the world, NBD (Google it)- there’s nothing like it anywhere else.
It’s more than just eating a pierogi and drinking a piwo after Lent. Polish or not, it’s a day to indulge (big time) and celebrate (what, we’re not sure, but just go with it). Gratulacje (congrats) if you’ve made your way through the entire list. If not, you’ve got some work to do this Dyngus Day – consider this a bucket list of sorts.
1. Attended the Annual Dyngus Day Parade – Duh. It’s kind of a big thing here
2. Shopped at the Broadway Market – And by shopped, we mean eating your way through**
3. Attended an authentic Dyngus Day Polka – Because go traditional or go home amirite? PS: Bring your moves and a partner (or two) (or three)
4. Experienced Dyngus Day at the Buffalo Central Terminal – It’s iconic~
5. Washed down your pierogi with Tyskie, Zywiec, and/or a shot of Sobieski – “This is the best pierogi I’ve ever had” *hic*
6. Attend the Dyngus Day Party at Adam Mickiewicz Library – Here in Buffalo partying at libraries is strongly encouraged
7. Eaten a kielbasa sandwich at St. Stan’s – On Dyngus Day, after the library we party at church
8. Bar-hopped between R&L Lounge, Arty’s, Corpus Christi Church, and the Pussy Willow Park Party Tent – Bonus points for going back for a second round
9. Lost your voice screaming the words to literally any song played by Those Idiots – If you thought you didn’t need Outkast’s ‘Hey Ya’ in polka form you were sadly mistaken
10. Accidentally flirted with the wrong person because you were drunkenly waving your pussy willow around like a maniac/shooting your squirt gun all over the place – I um, was aiming for the trash can behind you
This article was originally published In March 2018 and has been updated.