We’ve turned the corner on 2020 and we’re heading into 2021 with a fresh outlook! While things aren’t quite back to normal (okay, literally nothing has changed except for the date, but still), there are plenty of ways to keep yourself entertained this winter – Buffalo style.
At the top of the list is OBVIOUSLY – watch Josh Allen and Stefan Diggs completely dominate the NFL. When you’re not busy doing that, here’s a long list of fun things to do that aren’t cancelled this winter around Buffalo and Western New York. Spoiler alert! You’re going to want to invest in a nice heavy winter coat.
Friendly reminder to please continue to follow proper social distancing guidelines, wear a mask when social distancing isn’t possible, and make sure to check in with any and all businesses before visiting to learn about their new hours, service adjustments, and up-to-date health and safety protocols.
Think we’re missing one? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
1. Eat, drink, and be merry on these heated patios (due to covid some availability may have changed)
2. Try one of the spots named “Best New Restaurants of 2020” by Step Out Buffalo
3. Hunt down the best burgers in Buffalo & WNY according to our readers
4. Visit Vidler’s 5 & 10
5. Grab a Hot Chocolate Bomb (or 2) from The Sweet Whisk or one of these other spots
6. Go out to eat in an igloo or greenhouse at a WNY restaurant (UPDATE 1/10: igloos and greenhouses are no longer allowed in the Orange Zone and will remain closed until we are back in the Yellow Zone)
7. Go sledding or head outside for one of these other perfect snowy day activities
8. Take a winter hike
9. Embark on the ultimate winter weekend getaway to Lake Placid
10. Visit the Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens (due to covid some availability may have changed)
11. Visit the Buffalo Zoo
12. Grab a drink from Elm Street Bakery’s Drink Hut in East Aurora
13. Try food from these hidden gem bodegas around Buffalo
14. Take a makers class by Musejar
15. Fill up on candy and fun knick knacks at local country stores – to find a list of local country stores check out our the Local Country Stores section (#3) on our Guide to Winter Activities!
16. Track down these awesome local spots to get hot chocolate
17. Grab a game from Gather & Game for at home game night – to learn more about Gather & Game check out section #4 on our Guide to Winter Activities!
18. Go ice skating – (due to covid some availability may have changed)
19. Go on a winter date with your pup
20. Shop our locally-owned Etsy Shop Guide
21. Let off some steam and smash stuff at Smash Brothers – to learn more about Smash Brothers check out section #9 on our Guide to Winter Activities!
22. Check out Coco’s outdoor Crepe Chalet
@stepoutbuffalo📍 Coco Bar & Bistro, Main Street Buffalo NY. Follow @stepoutbuffalo for more 716 Tiktok! #buffalo #holiday #hiddengem #716 #buffalove #newyork #wny♬ Sleigh Ride – Tori Kelly
23. Get fish fry takeout
24. Take a road trip on one of your days off to one of these charming NYS towns perfect for a weekend getaway
@stepoutbuffaloSmall town getaways in New York! #buffalo #corningmuseum #hudsonny #ithacawaterfall #ithacany #getaway #smalltown #cooperstown♬ Dreams (2004 Remaster) – Fleetwood Mac
25. Check out Swain Ski Resort in Allegheny County
26. Visit the Genesee Country Village & Museum (due to covid some availability may have changed)
27. Tour Buffalo and Western New York by car – check out our series of curated tours
28. Take a quick trip to Watkins Glen
29. Shop locally-owned shops online
30. Check out the Chandler Street Winter Market
31. Go tubing
32. Go skiing or snowboarding at a nearby resort
33. Fishing excursions with Brookdog Fishing – yes fishing
34. Visit Old Fort Niagara
35. Head out to hike in Allegheny State Park
36. Enjoy wandering at Griffis Sculpture Park
37. Go snowshoeing
38. Take a weekend trip to historic Cooperstown, NY
Are we missing one? Email us at email@example.com!