Strap on that helmet and get your biking shoes on (are those a thing?) for the 9th Annual Tour de Farms. Presented by Independent Health, the Tour de Farms is quite literally a tour of farms, all on bicycle of course because we raise our hands high for sustainable transportation.
Touring both local and rural farms from Buffalo’s Westside to Alden, NY on Sept. 16th, the Tour de Farms is not only a glorious ride celebrating our local food system, it’s also a fundraiser for GObike Buffalo and MAP (Massachusetts Ave Project), a project with a mission to “nurture the growth of a diverse and equitable local food system and promote local economic opportunities, access to affordable, nutritious food and social change education.” You go Glen Coco.
Here’s how it works:
Bicyclists will start the tour by visiting urban farms and community gardens around Buffalo’s east and west sides. From there the ride continues to rural farms, stopping halfway at Bippert’s Farm in Elma for some light noms. Gotta keep those pedaling legs nourished. The tour ultimately ends at The Oles’ Family Farm in Alden, NY where riders will be met with a celebration with noms, live music and an optional bus ride home. Holla.
If this tour in its 35-mile entirety is a tad too much for you, don’t you fret. There are 5 different variations of the ticket types that you can register for which highlight certain parts of the tour including:
- Classic Tour ($60) – The full 35-mile ride starting on Buffalo’s Westside and exploring both urban and rural farms, ending with the Local Food Celebration.
- Express Ride ($50)– Bypass the urban farms and head straight to the Local Food Celebration in Alden, NY!
- Urban Farm Tour ($40) – A shorter, city-only ride to urban farms and gardens.
- Half Ride ($45) – For those who’d like to join the tour at the halfway point, Bippert’s Farm, and continue on from there.
- Local Food Celebration Only ($35) – For those who just want to hand out at the Oles Farm with friends and family and enjoy local food and local beer.
Saddle up & bike on, folks.
TOUR DE FARMS
DATE: September 16, 2017
TIME: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
WHERE: Buffalo, NY – Alden, NY
MORE INFO: tourdefarmsbuffalo.org