Temperature drops and Bills Mafia madness aren’t the only changes fall brings. With autumn comes a whole new list of fun things to do around Buffalo and Western New York. From leaf peeping, pumpkin patching, and apple picking to frights, pumpkin spice and fall bites, there’s so much to do before the snow flies!
Here are some must do activities to add to your Buffalo bucket list this fall:
2. Go Pumpkin Picking- Visit a pumpkin farm to find your canvas to carve the perfect jack-o’lantern. Explore favorites like The Great Pumpkin Farm in Clarence, Wheatfield Pumpkin Farm in North Tonawanda, or Pumpkinville in Great Valley – they always have other fun stuff for the kids to do on top of harvesting your pick of pumpkins. You can check out our pumpkin patch guide here!
4. Tailgate at a Bills Game- Get your Bills gear, booze, and snacks to catch a home game at Highmark Stadium. Find out the best bars to hit go pre and post Bills game here.
5. Find Your Fall Signature Drink- It’s no secret that fall brings the best bevys – both alcoholic and non. Whether you need your pumpkin spice latte fix every morning via a fancy caffeinated beverage, you can’t get enough pumpkin beer in that belly, or craft cocktails are your jam, there are so many great spots to drink local while you feed your inner *basic*.
6. Make a trip to Ellicottville- Fall is the best time of year for an Ellicottville adventure filled with beautiful foliage. Ride the chairlift to the top of the hill at Holiday Valley to catch the best view of the changing leaves or try out Holiday Valley’s Adventure Park.
7. Attend a Fall Fest- Get the whole family together to enjoy a day of fall-themed fun. There’s tons of festivals happening this season, find a list of them happening this weekend and beyond here!
8. See a Horror Movie- Look up showtimes at the nearest Regal or AMC or for something a little different plan a night at Transit Drive-In Theatre in Lockport, NY. If you want to pair your bag of popcorn with a beer or glass of wine, check out The Screening Room in Amherst, NY for cafe-style seating.
10. Visit a *Real* Haunted Place – Want something a bit more authentically haunted? Check out our Guide to the Most Haunted Places in WNY and visit if you dare…
11. Celebrate Oktoberfest– Hit up one of Buffalo’s breweries to try seasonal Oktoberfest beers or make the venture to one of many events happening in WNY!
12. Hunt Down the Best Homemade Apple Cider Donuts in Town
13. Go on a Guided Haunted Walk/Tour/Pub Crawl- Book a tour at Canalside, Allentown, Larkinville, Theater District, Lewiston, East Aurora, or The Roycroft Inn, and more!
14. Go on a Fall-themed or Haunted Hayride – Something about tractors and creepy dirt paths make haunted hayrides extra frightening. There are plenty of options to choose from including Becker Farms and newcomer to Niagara County, The Haunted Forest. Check out our Complete Guide to Fall and Haunted Hayrides Happening All Over WNY.
15. Take a Foliage Filled Hike- Seeing the leaves change colors makes for a picture-perfect backdrop while hiking. Some popular spots include Letchworth State Park, Devil’s Hole State Park, Delaware Park, Chestnut Ridge, and Ellicottville.
Plus check out these guides:
- 4 Scenic Fall Hikes to Take North of Buffalo & Beyond
- 2 Extraordinary Fall Hikes Worth the Drive from Buffalo
- 9 Places to See Fall Leaves in WNY
16. Attend a Theater Show – Theater is back in Buffalo, baby! Don’t let this theater season go by without attending a show at one of the many local performance theaters across WNY.
17. Have a Last Chance Bonfire- Tell scary stories and roast s’mores around the campfire before the entire city is covered in feet of snow for months.
19. Have a Magical Movie Marathon- If you don’t already own them, you can rent, stream, or tune in to a TV special to watch Hocus Pocus, Friday the 13th, Halloweentown, Casper, It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, The Addams Family, Jeepers Creepers, and all the other classics. And if you want to leave your house, check out our guide to locally owned movie theaters.
20. Get Lost in a Corn Maze- Navigate your way through the twists and turns with your kids and family friends at The Great Pumpkin Farm in Clarence (which also has an entire Halloween-themed bar and you should 10/10 go visit it) or Cambria Corn Maze in Lockport. Plus check out our Guide to 5 Places to Get Lost in a Corn Maze This fall in WNY.
21. Host a Friendsgiving- Invite all your chosen family over, prepare all your favorite dishes, and restock your liquor cabinet to enjoy an evening of friendship and gratitude.
22. Take a Fall Drive – WNY is consistently rated one of the best places in the United States to view the changing autumn leaves, so why not take advantage of the fact that you live here and go see ‘em? Here are 6 Beautiful Fall Drives that will make you fall in love with fall more than you can imagine.
23. Hop On a Fall Foliage Train Ride – If you want to cherish peak autumn with an unmatched experience – there’s truly no better way to soak in the sights than a fall foliage train ride. Check out our Guide to Fall Foliage Train Rides to Take in WNY.
24. Taste Test Buffalo Bills-Themed Beers by Local Breweries – Can’t think of a better way to show your hometown spirit than tracking down these Buffalo Football themed beers brewed right here in Bills Country. Can you? Here’s a guide to the Bills-Themed Beers you need in your life.
25. Enjoy a Murder Mystery Experience – From dinner parties to bus tours, there are multiple exciting (and legal) ways to find yourself in the middle of a murder mystery this season.
Did one of these places close? Send us a note!
This post was originally published in 2017 and has been updated.